• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hydration

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea that's hard. I hate it when it's cold because they like and need to be handled. I try to keep the house warm enough for him. He likes to sit on the back of the couch against the wall and just chill.

Well that says it right there. He do not like bath time! Which is totally understandable. At least he knows and doesn't stress out when he knows he's not going to the bath. I would try taking him out about as much as you take him out for baths just so he can get handled and get some good time and not just some uncomfortable times. Poor baby. :( Are his skin problems from how you to nd him you think or you don't know?

Yea my dog had gotten a lot better. And he did the same thing actually. He got lokis tail in his mouth but he didn't bite down. Oooh cats are unpredictable. I don't think I would leave the car alone with him. You never know. Plus they like to bring you presents every now and then. That's just a risk I don't think I could take. I couldn't stand the thought of him going out like that, the pain he'd go through.... But I do not know your cat so yea.

That's hella funny hahaha sexy fit. Yea I need to find a new vet for Loki. I did not like the one I went to!
I really don't know why he has the skin issues. When he sheds it is not even at all and on his right side it basically never comes off. The only way for that shed to come off is by soaking him and gently prying it off. His neck is the worse and there are about 4 layers of shed on there that won't come off and keep building up. It hurts hen when I try to remove it, so I soak as long as I can and am as gentle as possible. Then I give him pain meds afterwards.

My cat is pretty good. We have had her for 10 rs, she is 11 now. She will hunt mice, but she likes to play more than kill. We have had presents delivered in the middle of the night, which is why we lock the dog door at night now. She also would bring in live grasshoppers and even a praying mantis once. She has touched Collins, but with his spikes I don't worry about her getting him. He can hiss too, which would scare her enough to leave him alone if needed. She is such a scared cat lol.

Nathan Vanderslice

Bearded Dragon Egg
how you found* him is what I meant. Oops
Here's a couple of things for you. One is a YouTube link to something very cute. Nothing my beardie will do (she's too sedentary. LOL)
Comments on the beardie and leash: First, what are you using for a leash? Are you using one of the ones that's made of "mini" paracord or one more like a vest or jacket? I used to use leather until I couldn't get the right size strips again. I finally found out that there are smaller diameters of the paracord and one of these was perfect with the pony beads that I got. It's possible that your beardie is reacting to any leash as putting one on over the skin shedding or lack there of is causing pain. You need to find a vet who is really knowledgeable about beardies or other reptiles and shedding problems. I don't know much about it but I did see a video or two of this issue, and I believe it can be a real problem/hazard for them. I have taken my beardie out from time to time just to get some real sun but will not dare do so without a leash. I also used to take her to different places in the car and sometimes she really seemed to enjoy it. I would look further into seeing what's causing the lack of shedding. So far as helping them with their shedding please stop. With 3-4 layers that for some reason is not coming off, your trying to pull it off has got to be really painful. If you can, let the beardie relax for a while but most importantly find an expert who can help you with this. This could be from some sort of contamination or disease process and needs to be addressed. After leaving him alone for a while, see if you can get the right size paracord and some pony beads to make a leash for him and then spend some time with the leash just tight enough to keep him from squirming out of it, and then take him out and walk around with him on your shoulder. Word to the wise: If you are doing that, keep your hand on the leash and up near your shoulder so that if he falls off he won't go down and hit the ground. For some time. I used to go over to Home Depot with Yindi and either be there for shopping, or just to walk around. Loved the reactions that I got. LOL The other reason for keeping them on a leash is that if not, and they get scared they can run at quite a fast pace, and can also get into small spaces where you won't be able to get to them again. BTW, I saw a post some time after I first saw that video and both the beardie and chihuahua have passed away.

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
Aww poor baby. They have that shed ease at pet stores. Have you tried that? I don't know much about it and haven't read any reviews or anything because Loki doesn't have too much trouble shedding but yea.

That's cool that they like to play. My dog gets so excited and he's so big I just don't trust him without me right there. Maybe when he gets older. Hes a big dog that likes to play like a big dog.

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aww poor baby. They have that shed ease at pet stores. Have you tried that? I don't know much about it and haven't read any reviews or anything because Loki doesn't have too much trouble shedding but yea.

That's cool that they like to play. My dog gets so excited and he's so big I just don't trust him without me right there. Maybe when he gets older. Hes a big dog that likes to play like a big dog.
Yes, we use the shed ease in baths, shred misting spray, the humidifier, and baths weekly. The misting spray is grea but he sure hates being sprayed lol. The pictures show what happens in between baths when he sheds and it just doesn't come off. At first I thought it was yellow fungus, but the vet assured me it wasn't. His tail is dead at the tip because I didn't help remove it when he was a baby (like most of the articles say not to do in helping remove shed). The vet said it didn't need amputated, but it could still fall off on its own.

My one bog is small, but thinks he is a big dog. At least doesn't bark like most little dogs.

Attachments

• 20220515_172408.jpg
    20220515_172408.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220515_172446.jpg
    20220515_172446.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220515_172454.jpg
    20220515_172454.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
Well that's good! Whatever will help! Even if just a little bit. Awww! And what did the vet say about his shed? Is it okay for you to help him get it off? I've heard both that you shouldn't and that it's okay. I've even seen someone at the reptile store just take some of Loki's off. But his was easy. It wasn't stuck or anything. No wonder your poor baby hates bath time!!!! I would too!! At least it's not yellow fungus though or something worse!

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
Loki's tail is a little messed up. He still has feeling in it though when I pinch it. I thought it was tail rot for a while. Here's a pic of you look close you can see it's kinda bent and darker than the rest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-065602.png
    Screenshot_20220518-065602.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220518-065533.png
    Screenshot_20220518-065533.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well that's good! Whatever will help! Even if just a little bit. Awww! And what did the vet say about his shed? Is it okay for you to help him get it off? I've heard both that you shouldn't and that it's okay. I've even seen someone at the reptile store just take some of Loki's off. But his was easy. It wasn't stuck or anything. No wonder your poor baby hates bath time!!!! I would too!! At least it's not yellow fungus though or something worse!
Yes, the vet went through how to remove. It's also why I soak him for quite awhile. I also make sure he's not boarding out or getting black beard. Once he does, we immediately stop and I get his pain meds. I have to syringe feed him the meds, but he is so much better about taking them. I can give it more often, but the vet said just as needed. And yes, I am very lucky it is not something worse. I hate picking on him, but it has to be done.

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
Oh good good. Well it sounds like you know what you're doing and you guys have a pretty good game plan set. And yea l, you said it. Someone has to do it. He's very lucky he has you!!! That's all I know:)