• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybernating

Vadenis

Bearded Dragon Egg
how can I tell if my buddy, Homer, is starting to try and hibernate or if there is something going on that I need to be concerned about. Homer doesn't seem to be interested in wanting to eat and he is very lethargic. I'm worried about him. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should be doing.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Need some more information on Homer: please tell us about your set up like temps, what lighting you have/when have you changed out the UVB?, age of Homer, where are you located, has Homer been checked by a vet lately?

Vadenis

Bearded Dragon Egg
I keep the temp around 97 - 99 on the warm side and in the 80's on the cool side. I have 2 UV lights that are on a timer along with a heat lamp. The timer is set for 12 on 12 off. Also there is a heat lamp on top that stays on 24hr. and a heat mat that is on the underside of the warm side of his home. I had found Homer outside the loading dock area of Home Depot in northern Va. I took him to the vet approx. 3weeks for a physical check- up which they said he was fine. They couldn't give me an actuate age but his tail to nose measurement is 19". I am including these pics in case you see anything that would need to changed. I try to have Homer outside his home for at least a couple of hours a day. He likes to lay in the sun by the sliding glass door and he also likes to run around the room. I also take him outside a few times a week. Please let me know if you have any ideas as to if he is trying to hibernate or not and if I should be doing something different.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Brumation can be very tricky when you haven't dealt with it yet. Beardies do typically brumate following the seasons, or so I have heard. For example, my girl goes down in late November, wakes up in late February. That being said, every beardie is different.

A couple of q's in regards to the pictures:

-What UVB are you using (brand, 10.0? 5.0?)? A single, linear UVB that runs across most of the enclosure is typically suggested, the common thumbs-up brands I've heard around here being Repti-Sun 10.0 and I think Arcadia (never used this brand). Better if there is no screen between the beardie and the UVB, as screens filter out some of the good stuff your reptile needs.
-Heat pads aren't required for beardies. Your heat bulb should supply enough heating, and in extreme cases beardies have burnt their bellies from under-tank heat pads. If you're feeling the need to get the temperature up, try getting a higher watt bulb. I use a single 150w for my 120 gallon tank with no heat issues. Just be sure the fixture is large enough to hold it... made that mistake once. Heat bulbs make a fun pop when they explode.
-I would recommend a digital thermometer if you don't have one already
-The heat bulb that stays on - heat only needed at night if your tank is getting below 65 degrees.
-What are the tank dimensions? Looks a little squishy in there. Recommended adult beardie enclosure size is 50 - 75 gallon minimum.
-What are you feeding lovely Homer? I notice pellets in the dishes - not really necessary. Greens everyday and bugs a few times a week is good for most adults. Recommended diet is around 80% greens, 20% protein for adults. Also what supplements are you using?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the pictures! Depending on the UVB tube style T5 will penetrate better and deeper thru mesh tops than T8 styles..
You can play around with your temps some dragons like it warmer than others and some like it cooler..my female sometimes likes it warmer then sometimes cooler other times...so when I notice she isn't basking where she normally does I start playing around with temps...
Yes don't use under tank heaters as they don't sense heat from below on their bellies and can easily burn themselves.
He looks like he might be starting a shed? is he? That could be why he's acting "off"

Latest posts