• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Humidity

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
I've noticed lately the humidity in Loki's cage has been too high. He was in a 40 gallon enclosure but I just updated to a 120 gallon. I have a Zilla 18 inch uvb slimline desert fixture but am upgrading to a 24 inch zoo med reptisun T5 HO HOOD asap because of the bigger enclosure. I can't remember exactly what basking bulb I have unfortunately but I also have a 100 watt heat emitter as well as a uvb in the dome. The temperature on the basking side is 91.6 degrees F and the cool side is 77.5 degrees F. since the tank is bigger the temps have gone down. Maybe a higher wattage basking bulb and 150 watt heat emitter will help?

I apologize for not having more accurate info but I am getting new bulbs soon so I will have better information so my questions can be answered more accurately. If pictures will help please let me know and I will post.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've noticed lately the humidity in Loki's cage has been too high. He was in a 40 gallon enclosure but I just updated to a 120 gallon. I have a Zilla 18 inch uvb slimline desert fixture but am upgrading to a 24 inch zoo med reptisun T5 HO HOOD asap because of the bigger enclosure. I can't remember exactly what basking bulb I have unfortunately but I also have a 100 watt heat emitter as well as a uvb in the dome. The temperature on the basking side is 91.6 degrees F and the cool side is 77.5 degrees F. since the tank is bigger the temps have gone down. Maybe a higher wattage basking bulb and 150 watt heat emitter will help?

I apologize for not having more accurate info but I am getting new bulbs soon so I will have better information so my questions can be answered more accurately. If pictures will help please let me know and I will post.
Please get a surface basking temp - that will tell you if you need to upgrade to a higher wattage -- you want 3 temps in the tank - basking side 95-100 for a adult / juvie and 105-110 for a baby - middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's - what is the humidity and are you using a dial hygrometer? I would get a digital probe one for your tank
place in the center of the back wall it will read your whole tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and nothing over 70% -- please use your heat emitter for night time temps - I use a 100 watt for mine in the winter only - I have it placed in the center of the tank top of screen -- 150 may be too much for night you only want your temps 65-75 at night - dragons sleep better in the dark w/ the cooler temps it helps metabolize their systems -

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
Please get a surface basking temp - that will tell you if you need to upgrade to a higher wattage -- you want 3 temps in the tank - basking side 95-100 for a adult / juvie and 105-110 for a baby - middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's - what is the humidity and are you using a dial hygrometer? I would get a digital probe one for your tank
place in the center of the back wall it will read your whole tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and nothing over 70% -- please use your heat emitter for night time temps - I use a 100 watt for mine in the winter only - I have it placed in the center of the tank top of screen -- 150 may be too much for night you only want your temps 65-75 at night - dragons sleep better in the dark w/ the cooler temps it helps metabolize their systems -
I'm sorry I just saw this. I am at an appointment right now but I will check everything and respond fully once I get home.

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
So I'm working on getting his temperatures to where they need to be right now. It's been around 90 but I went and got a new basking lamp. It's a 160 watt Zoo Med Powersun. I've been trying to find a bulb that is a white light like you said and not the yellowish but I've tried a few different ones lately and they look white on the box, then are yellowish and soon as they're on and plugged in. :/ The cool side is around 80 and I don't have one in the middle of the tank but I just picked one up from the store so I will do that and let you know. The humidity when I checked last was at like 55! I do have a digital hygrometer but i can't get the suction cup to stick to the material (not glass like before) I'm trying to find a solution to that because I'm having the same problem with my thermometers. Those I just put through the front for now and draped it over the dial thermometer/hygrometer.

The temps at night have been pretty much spot on. 65-70. Well u til the last week or so. It recently got really cold where I'm at, quite a bit colder than it's been so I will start using the heat emitter at night. I have a 50 watt and 100 watt one as well so I will see which one works best.

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
I just got ahold of someone at home and had them check. The temps right now are 93.2 for the hot side, 79.0 on the cool and the humidity is 50.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I'm working on getting his temperatures to where they need to be right now. It's been around 90 but I went and got a new basking lamp. It's a 160 watt Zoo Med Powersun. I've been trying to find a bulb that is a white light like you said and not the yellowish but I've tried a few different ones lately and they look white on the box, then are yellowish and soon as they're on and plugged in. :/ The cool side is around 80 and I don't have one in the middle of the tank but I just picked one up from the store so I will do that and let you know. The humidity when I checked last was at like 55! I do have a digital hygrometer but i can't get the suction cup to stick to the material (not glass like before) I'm trying to find a solution to that because I'm having the same problem with my thermometers. Those I just put through the front for now and draped it over the dial thermometer/hygrometer.

The temps at night have been pretty much spot on. 65-70. Well u til the last week or so. It recently got really cold where I'm at, quite a bit colder than it's been so I will start using the heat emitter at night. I have a 50 watt and 100 watt one as well so I will see which one works best.
This is a MVB It's a 160 watt Zoo Med Powersun. If you can take that back your T 5 is way better and its going to be cheaper for basking lamps
Flukers https://www.petmountain.com/product/flukers-basking-bulb-incandescent-reptile-light
Exo Terra https://www.petmountain.com/product/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-lamp
I have recently switched to the Flukers bulbs and have not put them in yet - I was having issues w/ the Exo Terra ones and have one in currently --- the PowerSun is a over priced basking bulb basically because you need the T 5 as well they give great heat but UVB output is minimal for them -- along w/ the Solar Glo and the Mega Ray --
Use two sided tape for your hygrometer

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
That's weird I thought I was replying to our other conversation. Hmm. Anyways, Yes it was pricy! And I didn't even think of that. Will do as soon as I walk through the door. And thank you I will definitely be trying one of or both of those next. I've been doing a lot of process of elimination.

Latest posts