• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Humidity Control at Night Time in Bio Active Setup

TazDeveloper

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have been monitoring the humidity in the enclosure, and during the day with the heat lamps on, the humidity is between 34% and 45%. At night, we keep the house at 73 degrees, so I know I don't need the heat lamps. The problem I am having is that if I don't have at least one on, the humidity spikes up to 64% in the night. By leaving on one infrared night heat bulb, the humidity stays in the sweet spot. The setup is a bioactive setup with terra sahara soil and live plants. The enclosure is 36x18x18.

I have two questions. Is it okay to have heat on 24/7 to control humidity? Is there a problem using the infrared heat bulbs?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
The beardie actually needs a chance to cool down at night, so it's better to not use the additional heating with your house temp at 73. Regarding the bulbs, if you mean one of the type that emit colored light, you don't want to use that at all for a beardie, even during the day, but especially at night. They need darkness for sleeping. If there's a time your house temps are below 65-ish, then you'd want a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a heat projector, which provide heat without light. I don't do bioactive, so I don't know what might be a good way to lower the nighttime humidity or if you actually need to. BioDude may be able to advise you on that.

TazDeveloper

Bearded Dragon Egg
The beardie actually needs a chance to cool down at night, so it's better to not use the additional heating with your house temp at 73. Regarding the bulbs, if you mean one of the type that emit colored light, you don't want to use that at all for a beardie, even during the day, but especially at night. They need darkness for sleeping. If there's a time your house temps are below 65-ish, then you'd want a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a heat projector, which provide heat without light. I don't do bioactive, so I don't know what might be a good way to lower the nighttime humidity or if you actually need to. BioDude may be able to advise you on that.
Thanks for the input. I will look at replacing the bulbs with a CHE.