• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to tell if beardie is brumating or dead.

Potato

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all. I am new to this forum and need some help. My 11 year old daughter got a bearded dragon for her birthday in September. The pet store said it was 2 weeks old when we bought it. We have been religious about cleaning the cage, feeding crickets, vitamins, calcium powder, etc.

This afternoon when my daughter got home from school, she found Potato in his basking spot, not moving. She went to pet him and pick him up like she always does after school, but he's not moving. He apparently did have some poop around him which would be consistent with brumating, but I can't see him breathing, his eyes don't move, nothing. He is not stiff and he is warm, but that is probably due to the basking lamp.

Is there a way for me to tell if he is brumating or dead?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A two month old bearded dragon doesn't brumate. I hate to say it but if it isn't moving, it probably has passed.

Potato

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for your reply. I think he is closer to 4 months old. Would a 4 month old beardie brumate? How quickly does rigormortis set in? He is not stiff at all, he is soft and flexible. His eyes are open a tiny bit, but his stomach is sunken and he looks emaciated. Are these all bad signs?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They don’t brumate until they are 18 months or older. What is your setup like? What type of UVB? What are the basking temps? What are you measuring your temps with?

LanaW

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is your beardies diet like? Babies usually eat way more live food than you think they should. Pictures should help the moderators, I am in no way an expert. But can help where I can.

Latest posts