• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to raise tank temps

EbrietasDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my Beardie is about 8.5 months old, 18inches, weighs 348g. I have two basking spots, one over a big cork log/cave with a 45 watt (because the log is closer to the top of the tank) this spot hits about 110. The other spot is a 60watt bulb on a dimmer that hits the floor, for when she wakes up, she's lazy and likes to army crawl to this spot in the am to warm up. This spot hits about 106 in the center and gradients out (it's a flood light so the center focal point is hotter.)
My question is, how do I raise the over all temp of her tank? I can't make her basking spots hotter or she will not be able to bask as they will be too hot. Her hot side only hits about 83-90 and her cool side is usually around 75. I'm a little concerned about this, she is my first beardie and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
The last few weeks she has been chilling with her mouth open just a tiny bit so I was concerned she is mouth breathing and then went down a URI rabbit hole on Google. She also isn't eating many roaches anymore, maybe 2-4 a day when just a few weeks ago she was eating 10-15. Still eating her salads though. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_132034598.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210720_132034598.MP.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my Beardie is about 8.5 months old, 18inches, weighs 348g. I have two basking spots, one over a big cork log/cave with a 45 watt (because the log is closer to the top of the tank) this spot hits about 110. The other spot is a 60watt bulb on a dimmer that hits the floor, for when she wakes up, she's lazy and likes to army crawl to this spot in the am to warm up. This spot hits about 106 in the center and gradients out (it's a flood light so the center focal point is hotter.)
My question is, how do I raise the over all temp of her tank? I can't make her basking spots hotter or she will not be able to bask as they will be too hot. Her hot side only hits about 83-90 and her cool side is usually around 75. I'm a little concerned about this, she is my first beardie and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
The last few weeks she has been chilling with her mouth open just a tiny bit so I was concerned she is mouth breathing and then went down a URI rabbit hole on Google. She also isn't eating many roaches anymore, maybe 2-4 a day when just a few weeks ago she was eating 10-15. Still eating her salads though. Any thoughts? Thank you!
How are you getting the temp for basking? NO stick ons it needs to be a digital probe thermometer-- you want a gradient heat of 95-100-- basking side - middle of the tank 90's and cool side 80's - stick ons are ok for those but you must have a digital for basking - -- the UVB is a T 5? This is also crucial for eating and absorbing the calcium shes ingesting-- the UVB is what distance from the basking decor piece? Slightly ajar mouth is normal mine do it-- the 75 temp is good for night time ---

EbrietasDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
How are you getting the temp for basking? NO stick ons it needs to be a digital probe thermometer-- you want a gradient heat of 95-100-- basking side - middle of the tank 90's and cool side 80's - stick ons are ok for those but you must have a digital for basking - -- the UVB is a T 5? This is also crucial for eating and absorbing the calcium shes ingesting-- the UVB is what distance from the basking decor piece? Slightly ajar mouth is normal mine do it-- the 75 temp is good for night time ---
I'm using a probe thermometer and a digital temp gun for the basking temps. The ones you see stuck on the wall were just some cheap ones so I could get a general idea of the ambient temps, but I don't think they are very accurate. Yeah the UVB is a t-5 with a reptisun 10.0. I'm actually having it and the replacement tested tomorrow, as that uvb bulb is getting close to 6months of use.
Good to know about the mouth thing.

EbrietasDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm using a probe thermometer and a digital temp gun for the basking temps. The ones you see stuck on the wall were just some cheap ones so I could get a general idea of the ambient temps, but I don't think they are very accurate. Yeah the UVB is a t-5 with a reptisun 10.0. I'm actually having it and the replacement tested tomorrow, as that uvb bulb is getting close to 6months of use.
Oh and the UVB is about 6-8 inches from the one basking piece and about 11 inches from the other. The vet gave me the the UVB results and said to have her anywhere between 6-12 inches from it given the readouts

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
T 5's are good for a year- I recommend a month prior too --the distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- it's the T 8's that need changed out every 6 months - as far as temps if they are a gradient heat that is good she's sit where she wants for a temp please post a pic of the whole tank

EbrietasDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
T 5's are good for a year- I recommend a month prior too --the distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- it's the T 8's that need changed out every 6 months - as far as temps if they are a gradient heat that is good she's sit where she wants for a temp please post a pic of the whole tank
The UVB is actually further than I thought, I just upgraded her tank and was thinking old measurements. She's about 10inches at her higher spot and 13ish on the other. She also has another stick to chooss from that would be about 16 and then of course the ground. But I'm going by what the vet showed me for the read outs of this particular bulb. Some are stronger than others, I guess quality control isn't perfect for UVB bulbs
Here is her tank, uvb is zip tied to the inside since the top is made of a finer mesh.

Attachments

• PXL_20210629_222141342.jpg
    PXL_20210629_222141342.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB is actually further than I thought, I just upgraded her tank and was thinking old measurements. She's about 10inches at her higher spot and 13ish on the other. She also has another stick to chooss from that would be about 16 and then of course the ground. But I'm going by what the vet showed me for the read outs of this particular bulb. Some are stronger than others, I guess quality control isn't perfect for UVB bulbs
Here is her tank, uvb is zip tied to the inside since the top is made of a finer mesh.
Your going to get different read outs w/ different distances- I go by distance since I don't have a solar meter- my decor is directly under the UVB- I also have two different basking spots being one the UVB spot but that area is in the 90's - the hot side is a gradient heat of 95-107 or so --

EbrietasDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Q popI'm
Your going to get different read outs w/ different distances- I go by distance since I don't have a solar meter- my decor is directly under the UVB- I also have two different basking spots being one the UVB spot but that area is in the 90's - the hot side is a gradient heat of 95-107 or so --
Yes, that's why she gave me the distances that she did. She gave me a print out with a little chart showing what my bulb reads out at different distances.
But back to my question: is there's way to raise the over all tank temp without changing her basking temps? Any tricks? I just replaced the cool side screen with a piece of wood, I'm hoping to trap some heat in there with it. I have the day off so I'll be monitoring all day.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Q popI'm

Yes, that's why she gave me the distances that she did. She gave me a print out with a little chart showing what my bulb reads out at different distances.
But back to my question: is there's way to raise the over all tank temp without changing her basking temps? Any tricks? I just replaced the cool side screen with a piece of wood, I'm hoping to trap some heat in there with it. I have the day off so I'll be monitoring all day.
I am not sure about raising tank temps w/ out raising the basking temps- what are you getting now for a temp in the middle of the tank? I go by the temp under the basking bulb in mid tank - I have a probe sitting on that piece of decor and when it gets to 98 I shut the basking bulb off-- that's where the UVB is--- so I know air temp is in the 90's - make sure you keep an eye on the ambient temp on the cool side you don't want it warmer than 80's mine sit around 80-84--

Latest posts