• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to pick out a healthy dragon? And other queries

White_Noise

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I may be getting a bearded dragon soon, and I was wondering what signs to look for to make sure the dragon I buy is healthy. I'm planning on buying it from a small local store, not a chain petstore so hopefully they'll be in good shape...

Also, are there any plants the dragon might eat that are poisonous to it?

Finally, out of curiosity I was wondering if there are any other reptiles that can co-exist in the same tank as a bearded dragon?

Thanks

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
White_Noise said:
I may be getting a bearded dragon soon, and I was wondering what signs to look for to make sure the dragon I buy is healthy. I'm planning on buying it from a small local store, not a chain petstore so hopefully they'll be in good shape...

Also, are there any plants the dragon might eat that are poisonous to it?

Finally, out of curiosity I was wondering if there are any other reptiles that can co-exist in the same tank as a bearded dragon?

Thanks

Ask the pet store what they have been feeding their dragons, what their UVB source is and what their temps have been at. Young beardies should be offered greens every day (not iceberg lettuce but things like collard greens, mustard greens and squash, bell peppers and other veggies) and small crickets. Mealworms are a common pet store feeder for beardies but they are very bad for young dragons. They cannot digest their shell and can end up with intestinal impaction. You do not want to buy a baby beardie that has been fed mealworms as their primary diet. Their basking temps should be between 105F - 115F and their cool side should be around 85F. Babies or young dragons who are kept at lower temps can suffer digestive problems, impaction, loss of appetite, lethargy and stunted growth. It also weakens their immune system, making it more likely for them to develop parasites or respiratory infections. Improper UVB sources can contribute to the development of metabolic bone disease, a very painful condition. You want a dragon that has been properly cared for from day one, so you have the best start with your new friend. Also ask them what supplements they have been using. They need calcium with D3 several times a week and a multivitamin at least once per week.

You'll want to see what substrate (bedding) they are using. Any type of sand is very bad for baby dragons. They will often ingest it and it clumps up in their digestive system, causing impaction. Young bearded dragons have a kink in their intestinal tract which makes their systems more sensitive than adult dragons. You do not want to buy a baby beardie that has been housed on sand. Some (myself included) do not use sand for their adult dragons, either, though others will tell you they've used it for years and had no issues. If you decide to use sand, never use it for a baby or juvenile dragon.

You'll also want to watch the beardies and see how active they are. Healthy beardie babies should be active and alert. If a beardie cannot lift its head, appears to have any mucus or dried debris by his eyes, nose or mouth or appears lethargic in any way, it is not a good choice. Their eyes should be clear and the beardie should be interested in you and its surroundings. If it is closing its eyes constantly, this could be a sign of eye damage from an improper bulb (coil bulbs often cause this problem).

You'll want to examine its body for sores, deformities, and parasites that can indicate health problems. Young beardies may be missing a toe or part of their tail from being housed with other dragons. While this might not look very pretty, it is not indicative of a health issue as long as it is healed and there are no open wounds or sores.

You can check out http://www.beautifuldragons.com/ for a safe plant list as well as dietary info and details on health problems suffered by bearded dragons. Renee (site admin) can also direct you to the site's care sheets as well.

Beardies need to be housed alone, as they are not social animals. It is not recommended to house a bearded dragon with another beardie, or any other type of lizard. They can become dominant and aggressive, often causing injuries and in some cases death of one of the dragons. Your beardie should have his own enclosure and not be housed with any other reptiles, including another bearded dragon.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
White_Noise said:
What a great reply! Thank you.

No problem! :) I hope you find the perfect beardie... and when you do, we want pictures!! ;D

Latest posts