• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to feed 4 month old dragon

Janet Kaufman

Bearded Dragon Egg
the pet store told me to feed crickets every other day and veggies every other day and to feed once a day.

Everything I read said feed 2 times a day.

So I have been doing a salad in th AM and crickets in the evening. Is this ok?

Also how many crickets? As many as it will eat in 10 minutes?

Help

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
baby dragons need to be fed at least 3 times a day they will eat mostly bugs until they are older offer greens/veggies/fruits all day, stop feeding a couple hours before they go to sleep for the night. Crickets, dubia roaches (if your state allows them) waxworms, butterworms, silkworms, superworms are all good foods, some are treats, crickets and dubias are staples 1 roach = 5 crickets nutri wise... however many they will eat in 15 min..

Welcome by the way, there are very good threads on this forum on diets and what to feed and not feed..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You have to feed 2x a day at least 3x if possible, whatever they want to eat in a 15 min window. They will go through a lot of bugs! I always give a salad in the morning and leave it in for the day. My guys are weird, they like to eat crunch leafs sometimes. Also, leaving the salad in gives stray bugs something to eat other than your beardie.

Lou Lou15

Hatchling Dragon
So PatsyB when you say their might be stray crickets does that mean you just throw a bunch in at a time? I've been throwing in one at a time to keep track of how much he eats and I heard that it's not good to leave them in there cuz the Dragons get chewed on? What's okay to do with this and what's not? Lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
make sure you get the crickets out that don't get eaten, someitmes you loose track of them and or they hide in the decorations yes they can chew on them :( what you are doing is good

Lou Lou15

Hatchling Dragon
Alrighty so Ive been hearing about cricket rocks.. You're basically saying that those aren't good either then.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yea just been finding out about those today.... not really sure how people are using them if they are only doing at feeding time and bringing them out when done or what..... I don't feed crickets I feed dubia roaches..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My beardie that eats crickets will eat them right out of the plastic cup that I use to shake the powder on. Sometimes some get out of the cup and I try to watch to make sure she goes around and gets them but sometimes I might miss one and find one the next morning.

Peaches

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use a separate tank to feed my baby in. She's 5 1/2 months. We have an exceptional reptile shop in town. They have recommended @ 20 crickets dusted with calcium/day the size of the space between the eyes and fresh veggies daily. I do veggies in the morning (cut small enough for her to easily eat) and the crickets for supper . I have to admit I'm quite spoilt because they also supply reptile salads too. So I don't have to worry about what's safe and not safe to feed my new babe. I find information is constantly changing when it comes to bearded dragons. When I had my last dragon (10 years, passed away last month) the guidelines were so different. I don't remember feeding so many crickets daily but I'd have to say my baby is thriving and is growing so much faster. She is much healthier for it. They need the protien to grow.
At 6 months I'll start dusting crickets every other feed.

Toni

Bearded Dragon Egg
the pet store told me to feed crickets every other day and veggies every other day and to feed once a day.

Everything I read said feed 2 times a day.

So I have been doing a salad in th AM and crickets in the evening. Is this ok?

Also how many crickets? As many as it will eat in 10 minutes?

Help

Toni

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, Stop Cricket's. They will eat a hole through your beardie. Don't get info from reptile stores. Go to a Breader of Bearded Dragons. Reptile places aren't always a good source of info. Dubai roaches and green/blue horns are their favourite. Lots of greens, fruit about once a wk or two wks. Ive6read everything I can and from friends who've lost their beardie to Crickets. Hope this helps. Get a dropper for placing a few drops on the nose if the keep opening their mouths several times, to regulate their heat. Ive read to wait 2 hrs after they wake to feed I wait 1hr. I'm starting to unders6my beardie Max. It's a learning curve. Hope this helps, Toni

Toni

Bearded Dragon Egg
So PatsyB when you say their might be stray crickets does that mean you just throw a bunch in at a time? I've been throwing in one at a time to keep track of how much he eats and I heard that it's not good to leave them in there cuz the Dragons get chewed on? What's okay to do with this and what's not? Lol
Cricket's will eat through your beardie. I have more advice if you like. 1

Toni

Bearded Dragon Egg

Attachments

• 20231216_163333.jpg
    20231216_163333.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 5