• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to Easily Take Bark Off Branches From Outside?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have collected many branches from outside and was wondering what would be the easiest way of taking all of the bark off that won't take me 3 hours (so far). I have a fairly large branch that's about 5.5ft long and 3 inches thick and the bark is so difficult to take off and it's taking me forever.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Use a knife and scrape down the piece of limb. That should take it right off.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, I've been using a knife but this bark is being stubborn lol. It's very tightly attached to this branch. Thanks for the suggestion though

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a hatchet should get it off pretty easy. I have stripped wood that way before and it didn't take too much time.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately I don't have a dremel so looks like I'm gonna have to resort to a hatchet lol. I'm 3/4 the way done thank god

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hey Candice. Sounds like you're using the wrong kind of knife. Try a drawknife. It's made for this.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
nature has a way of pulling what it wants from the "broken" limbs on the ground. The natural mineral deposits in soil combined with moisture and organics, break down bark rather quickly. Not sure exactly what you're working on........but you might consider putting your pieces inside a tub of basic topsoil or compost mix and throw some loose leaves on them. Keep the tub fairly warm in order to incorporate humidity. You can leave it over the holidays and just cook ;)
Come back to it and pop it in the oven for a few. The combination should "pop" the bark.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That actually sounds like a good idea Gina. I will have to do that for the other branches I have. They are for Frank's enclosure and bath time and for Magellan's out of the enclosure time. So I wanted to rip the bark off so I can make it safe for them.

Latest posts