• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to catch crickets??

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How do you all catch these monsters lol.I am using a toilet paper roll tapped at one end and they are still getting away on me.[ha ha ] My dragon will starve at this rate please help. river

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a cricket keeper from the pet store, the nice people there even put the crickets in there for me so I don't have to touch them.

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
Know exactly how you feel, should not say this about any living creature but I do get some strange satisfaction when the Dragon eats them...lol

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry to say but i have been killing crickets for the last 1-hour some how some got loose and all over the house and my dogs won't get them. Boy i hope this little one eats them fast.river

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
I keep my crickets/roaches in a RUB with cardboard egg holders, bug gel etc.. I have large pots in the rubs where I put the bug feed/fruit and veg/dusts in daily so its easier for me to clean out any mess in the rubs. What I like to do is often the crickets etc are clinging onto the fruit or veg in their feeding bowl in said rub, i take a piece of the fruit or veg that the beasties are clinging onto and just give it a little shake where boomer feeds, then put the bugless fruit back in the colony rub :)

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
Oh and I am lucky river... if there are any beastie escapees I have 2 troublesome cats who will hunt them down and munch them heehee xx

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
can i borrow your cats lol-my dogs won't coroperate, man i've been killing crickets around my apartment for 2-days lol-and not fun especially when my dragon baby needs them alive. Is they some sort of box that they can't escape from??Sorry don't understand what a rub is.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you Claire-now i understand what it is and man if anything can stop these monsters from escaping as they are all over my house lol-well not quite i think i killed most of them. But sure hard to keep them in one place-May have to get a catToo-that might help. thanks again river

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If any get out, I let the spiders that hang around in my corners have a free dinner. LOL! Well-actually, they're excellent pest control. Spiders. :) My dogs? They'll just sit there and not do anything when they're walking around the house. :)

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Noella; Thanks for that-but i can't stand spiders either basically anything like that. But i have to become somehow inventive to get these monsters until control as my baby has to eat and become a very healthy adult baby[always be my baby]thanks again river

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As has been previously mentioned, the best thing for keeping & handling the feeder crix is a large Kricket Keeper, the one with 4 tubes. Other than putting them in the keeper, there really should be no handling other than removing them from the enclosure prior to lights out.

pPETS-3760388dt.jpg

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753240

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Here is the "Poor Man's Cricket Keeper"...Locking Lid Container compliments of Dollar Tree...and yep it was $1....simple cut out in top of lid with a scrap piece of plastic screen hot-glued over the hole about 40 cents max for materials....recycled toilet paper and paper towel rolls for the crickets to hide in (also makes it easy to transfer crickets to feeding container by just picking up a tube) cost Free...recycled gallon jug plastic cap to hold water crystals-Free.. Takes only a few minutes to make and Total Cost less than $1.50 and easily houses 50+ crickets depending on the size tub you get. This one holds smalls for our group of Firebelly Toads and is easily stored under our kitchen cabinet where it's dark and the sound is muffled.:)

CricketBox1_zpsfc709e55.jpg

CricketBox2_zpsbdfac12c.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have one very similar, but in no way compares to the ease of use & keeping escapees to a minimum of the tubes with a Kricket Keeper ;), because once they are in, it rarely has to be opened other than the small trap door for feeding, no hopping off the paper rolls during transfer ;) .

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I gave up on the store bought Keepers...bought two and both had defective doors and the holes that the tubes fit down into had just enough gap to allow the wily convict crickets to escape thru:eek: However a minute or two in the freezer before open the lid does wonders for taming potential escapees too...lol Like a lot of things though it's a matter of person preference and I would say here both are equally viable options plus I will generally go the DIY route over store bought most times just for the simple satisfaction of knowing "I make that!" and most times "I can make that and cheaper too!!":)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ran into that issue also with tiny crix finding their way out the space for the hinged door for the tubes. A small piece of scotch tape to make the hole smaller without inhibiting the hinging process, cured that right up ;).

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
You'll get used to holding them and picking them up eventually!

I hated them at first and honestly, the cricket keeper was not the best purchase. We got the smaller one which just doesnt hold enough.

Charizard is happy eating them straight from the tub that they come in. I just put grub veg and water straight into there.

Hope you get used to it!

x

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
BUDDA: &GERM: I think i got this thingy with the monsters beat=i bought a large cricket thing with the 4-tubes and a large tupper ware container and out on the balcony they go and BUDDA: it does stun them but not for long and i'm going to try the screened thing and continue to fight with these monsters. I just don't like them. I can feed them but i hate them touching me.As far as their noise goes i enjoy hearing them[country girl] So thats not a bother-But i always tell them Don't get too comfy Boys you won't last long.Just gave him his crickets and they were on balcony 3-days and little buggers still alive lol-good for him and no escapees so far.Bella=aka-river

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Baby is eating and -trying to catch the rest of his breakie; I tell him Good Boy when he gets them and you would think he's smiling at you lol; Like is she nuts or what thats my breakfast; She may not like it but i certainly do. So just keep them coming lol. Bella-aka-river

Latest posts