• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much sleep?

Mohg

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My boyfriend and I estimate that our baby dragon, Mohg, is 2 and a half to 3 months old (she's about 8 inches from snout to tail tip). She's housed in a 40 gal breeder with 100 watt basking lamp and repti-sun 10.0 UVB tube. Temps are spot on, and she's greedily eating crickets twice a day (easily 25+ at each sitting) and usually eats all of the prickly pear from her salad of mustard greens and squash. She has healthy poops anywhere from twice a day to every other day. Soo...all seems well in baby dragon land.

Her lights are scheduled to go on at 9am and off at 11pm. Sometimes she's perched until lights-out, and sometimes she seems to want to go to bed early.

My question is: How much sleep do young dragons require, and should we consider putting her on a 12-hour schedule?

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i'd try and bring your times back a little. I do 7am lights on, 9pm yoda has already put himself to bed so thats when lights are out.

12 -14 hour schedule is good. As for how much sleep they need, well every dragon is different so it will vary.

I'd try and offer a little more variety with the greens.
Dandelion greens and flowers, endive, collard greens as a staple. And things like squash, nusturtium flowers and leaves, bok choy, carrot greens, beet greens and maybe some lavander, rosemary, basil to mix it up every so often. Here is the food list i use. Yoda loves the variety.

http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have my lights on for 14 hours in the summer months & 12 hours thru the winter months. My BD's are usually putting themselves to bed & settling down for the night about an hour before the lights go out :)

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That what I usually tend to do as well Lizardlover. I started this week by having them go off 15 min earlier and will reduce them by 15 min for next couple of weeks till it set at the times I want. I miss the lights at night tho, have to start using the lamps now :)

Mohg

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
For greens we've been rotating her weekly. Last week it was collards and endive. This week it's mustard. Next week I think I'll hit up the farmer's market and see if I can't find some fresh turnip greens. I'm also trying to grow alfalfa to see if we can get her some alfalfa greens, but I can't find any good tips on growing alfalfa in a container -- sprouts are easy, but I'm at a loss as soon as soil is involved. The clover is doing well, though ^_^

We don't really want to bring our times back because we both work later hours (9-6), so we're often not home until 7-ish. We want to allow her enough time to digest her crickets before lights-out. I'll keep an eye on when she seems to want to go to bed to see if we can't offer her some extra ZZZs (like 10am to 11pm or 9:30am to 10pm or something).

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

naich

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
since you work 9 to 6 maybe your schedual could look like this..

lights on at 7- feed at 8
get home and feed at 7
lights off at 9:30

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
mine has a crazy days his lights on at 530am- feed at 630
my kids feed again at 5oopm
then bath around 63opm
then light go out at 730pm

Latest posts