• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much is too much?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got the beautiful dragons nutritional website as my bible for Allie. I even bookmarked it and give advice every now and then on feeding a steady, green diet for our babies. However, there are things I wouldn't feed frequently to my baby is an excess of baby food. I've got a friend with a bearded dragon (Baby) who only eats baby food and crickets and won't touch his/her greens at all. I've constantly urged her to keep feeding him/her greens. Given the fact her diet consists of collard greens, turnip greens, or mustard greens to get her to grow big. These greens I don't mix up. I just give her a week of collard greens and the next week, turnip greens, and if available, mustard greens. Anyway, my friend wants her beardie like mine since she's big and I tell her what to get for a healthy happy beardie.

My friend bought a small jar of baby food squash, green beans, and beef with gravy baby food. I told her to give the beardie greens, topped with a little bit of baby food squash and green beans to encourage him/her to eat his/her greens. I fear that she'll lose the beardie because he/she's got runny stools from the excess of baby food. Mine does not so you don't have to worry about her being sick. Allie's showing off her wonderful colors and is shedding at the base of her tail. :)

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I don't understand the baby food it's not necessary is it?? I've always just put greens in his bowl everyday and fed cricket's. I've never given mine baby food it seems like it would be a little expensive.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not necessary at all. I just use it as a 'snack' or 'salad dressing' once in a blue moon. I don't feed baby food every single day like my friend does. She feeds her beardie this two to three times a day because her beardie doesn't touch greens. I've heard of people feeding sick beardies green beans, squash, cricket slurries to sick beardies. But there are ways other ways to help sickly beardies out.

When Allie was on Albon for a bacterial infection (Coccidia? I think it was.) I used baby food squash on her greens along with a small dose of fruit flavored soy yogurt with good cultures to get her good bacteria up to par and it helped her eat. She didn't have an appetite unless I put something sweet on it. I read Albon was harsh so in order to get her feeling better, I used baby food as a flavored water. She didn't want water by syringe so I gave her extra water by salad and baby food on a baby food spoon which she accepted. Only sick beardies should be given baby food slurry.

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Oh ok whew!! I've given him applesauce twice because I thought he was constipated. I feel like i'm spoiling him now because he won't touch his cricket's because of shedding so just to get him to eat I've been giving him mealworms. We'll see if he ever goes back to cricket's.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sure he will. I've given Allie baby food applesauce before when I thought she was constipated as well. It's okay to spoil them because I spoiled her rotten with cuddle time. :)

Nemo

Hatchling Dragon
Applesauce for constipation?? I give Spike a warm bath and rub his tummy. That has worked everytime so far! I have never tried baby food. Spike will eat green beans but not much else for greens....so his poop is really stinky and more runny than before the green beans. LOL!! He is getting sand today for a substrate. I wonder how he will react??

Latest posts