• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much food should 2 week Hatchling be eating?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
How much should a 2 week hatchling be eating? Is 2-3 crickets per day sufficient?
That is absolutely not enough. Babies need protein 3-4 times a day. They need as much as they can take in 10 or so minute's. Make sure to get good staple insects such as crickets, dubia roaches, or bsfl. The bugs should be no bigger than the space between its eyes.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
That is absolutely not enough. Babies need protein 3-4 times a day. They need as much as they can take in 10 or so minute's. Make sure to get good staple insects such as crickets, dubia roaches, or bsfl. The bugs should be no bigger than the space between its eyes.
He also needs vegetables at least a few times a week- at this age it should make up 20 percent of his diet. Good staple greens and veggies are mustard greens, collard greens, chard, kale, squash, etc.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
He is not wanting to eat much. Any ideas to get him to eat a little more? We hand feed him mealworms too and he took one today. Handfed the crickets but only took 2 today. Seems like he doesn’t want to hunt the crickets himself. Only saw him do it a few times in the last week. I cannot find super tiny crickets only the small size from the pet store. Wondering if the crickets are too large for the little baby and he doesn’t want to hunt them. Should I try tiny Dubai roaches maybe? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
He is not wanting to eat much. Any ideas to get him to eat a little more? We hand feed him mealworms too and he took one today. Handfed the crickets but only took 2 today. Seems like he doesn’t want to hunt the crickets himself. Only saw him do it a few times in the last week. I cannot find super tiny crickets only the small size from the pet store. Wondering if the crickets are too large for the little baby and he doesn’t want to hunt them. Should I try tiny Dubai roaches maybe? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
What are your tank temperatures and what do you use for lighting? What's the environment in and out of the enclosure like? You can buy containers of about 25 small dubia roaches at petco or petsmart. You can also order bugs online, they're much cheaper that way. Is he showing any signs of lethargy or brumation?

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
I will get the Dubia roaches at petco today for sure. The temperature seems to be fine. Basking area is around 100-105. Other side around 90. At night I use the ceramic heater lamp on one side of tank. Keeps tank at around 80-85 at night.
I have the reptisun UVB strip light and dome daylight for heat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How much should a 2 week hatchling be eating? Is 2-3 crickets per day sufficient?
And they should be offered salads - http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --- dusting the staple insect w/ the exception of BSFL DO NOT dust them and use them as lures to the salad bowl - feed as many as you want --- where did you get such a young baby ? Feed your staple feeder after you offer the salad and BSFL -- staple feeder dusted w/ calcium D3 ONLY ONCE per feeding and 5 x per week and vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding 2 x per week -- make sure you have the correct lighting NO coils and basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I will get the Dubia roaches at petco today for sure. The temperature seems to be fine. Basking area is around 100-105. Other side around 90. At night I use the ceramic heater lamp on one side of tank. Keeps tank at around 80-85 at night.
Beardies usually like it cooler at night - you shouldn't need any nighttime heating unless your temps get below 65 degrees.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies usually like it cooler at night - you shouldn't need any nighttime heating unless your temps get below 65 degrees.
Cool side of thank is too hot day time 80's-- I would get your dubias on line from here www.dubiaroaches.com they are going to be cheaper and more reliable- T 8 needs to go inside the tank 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- night time is too hot 65-75 the cooler temp helps them metabolize their system- if you need help w/ things to hang uvb in tank let me know I will post some for you but please get it in the tank and change bulb out in 6 months- or around 5-- get the smallest dubias you can nothing bigger than the space between the eyes length wise

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Cool side of thank is too hot day time 80's-- I would get your dubias on line from here www.dubiaroaches.com they are going to be cheaper and more reliable- T 8 needs to go inside the tank 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- night time is too hot 65-75 the cooler temp helps them metabolize their system- if you need help w/ things to hang uvb in tank let me know I will post some for you but please get it in the tank and change bulb out in 6 months- or around 5-- get the smallest dubias you can nothing bigger than the space between the eyes length wise
Ok thank you so much for all your help. We did get tiny Dubias today and also small crickets. He did run toward the bugs but will not grab them. I also just put up a thread on any help with getting a baby to eat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok thank you so much for all your help. We did get tiny Dubias today and also small crickets. He did run toward the bugs but will not grab them. I also just put up a thread on any help with getting a baby to eat.
Get some BSFL NO meal worms please he is too young and wont be able to eat them till hes at least 8 months or older -- they cause impaction when babies - the exoskeleton is too harsh on babies stomachs --- www.symtonbsf.com order smalls DO NOT DUST - add them to his salads first thing for feeding -- make sure your greens are rinsed before serving so he gets hydration -- drop them on top of his salads in front on him --- proper basking temps and UVB are the MOST important things in that tank - they control the over all health and behavior of the dragon --

Latest posts