• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many insects should a baby dragon be eating per day?

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all. I feed my dragons dubias, crickets, and superworms. How many typically would a baby dragon eat in a day? Just to keep it easy suppose I feed him just one type of insect each day how many should he eat? On another note. I understand the heat and UVB lamps aid him with digestion. Is there a general cut off point that he should not be fed so that he has time to bask? Or is it not necessary for him to bask immediately after eating? Thanks in advance for any advice.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, baby dragons need lots of protien for growth. It is recommended that you let them eat as much as they can in a 15 minute sesion (3 times a day initially). Superworms are not good for babies (unless they are baby supers), you should hold off on those until your dragon is around a year old. There is a huge difference between the nutritional value of dubias and crickets(1 dubia=7 crickets). A healthy baby could eat as many as 50 small dubias in a day or as many as 200 small crickets(this can vary greatly from dragon to dragon). All bugs should be gutloaded for the extra vitamins.
As stated in the post above, dont feed anything for the last 2 hours before lights out or they will be sleeping with undigested food in their little bellies.