• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many dragons do you have?

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I seem to have a severe case of dragon fever. Symptoms include rushing home from work to feed them roaches, making excuses to avoid going out with friends so I can spend time with my dragons.. & rationalizing why I should get "just one more" even though I'm running out of room & really have other priorities as far as what my money should be spent on..
There is a show next weekend & I dont think i have the self control to not come home with a new dragon. These guys are the coolest pets ever. (because my dog is family/child more so than pet!)
So id like to get an idea of how many dragons you guys have, & how many is too many? By that i mean, too many to still give them all enough attention.. Quality laptime lol..
Btw, i have 1 male 1.5 yrs old.. & 2 baby girls 3 months old, so 3 total. All day long at work, my mind wonders back to.. Where can i fit another cage?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hahah, thats too good! You do have dragon fever LOL.

Im not telling how many i have as i would not be helping the cause. If i could offer just this one piece of the other side of what you will consider the dark side of the moon. The more you get, the less time you will be able to spend with each independently. You lose so much of the personal time and they become more enclosure inhabitants. If i were not breeding, I'd personally only keep two.

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
See, thats exactly what i want to avoid. I love our interaction with them, but im so paranoid about them getting everything they need, so i dont keep them out for too long. I want to make sure they get enough time under the lights for uvb/digestion/etc.. So i find myself looking at the clock alot waiting til the next time i can take them out.. See im rationalizing again. I have more love to give than i have dragons to give it to! I cant wait for this show to get here. Its like Christmas for me. I cant wait to buy a new piece of wood for a basking spot, or new feeders that my guys dont normally eat. Or prickly pear cactus that i can never find around here. When did i turn into such a nerd? Also.. I could really use another lil lizard mouth around here to control my roach population;)

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
I have 3 and to be honest I would love another but I feel like 3 is more than enough for me to be able to spend time with each of them and give them the food and enclosures i want without compromising. :)

You certainly do have dragon fever though

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
I have 2 but I would like another one that's just older than the babies I have

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

Slave to the Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm finding the one I have to be very demanding. Only the best food only the cleanest enclosure. Temperature just perfect. Home at lunch to make sure he's not hungry. Thing is I'm planning on two I've got room for two and wonder how any one has the time for more than that. If you do everything to the beat of your ability. They for me seem to take up more time than the 4 dogs I used to have. Bath time chopping up veggies cleaning the enclosure. Finding some one to dragon sit if you go out of town for a few days.
Kinda demanding for a lizard. I do enjoy it but it never stops so I'm thinking hard about the next one.
R

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
To be fair dragons don't take a ton of care next to some other lizards. Chameleons take tons and tons of care. About the same amount of care as 2 or 3 dragons IMO. Currently I have one dragon and I'm getting a second one after I do more research on baby dragons. I got my dragon as an adult so I'm to to Familiar with baby ones.

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
I only have one and he is spoiled already I got him a few weeks ago and he is so cute but can be demanding of attention. He has a big personality for instance he likes to inspect his veggies before they get put down and he acts like he is put out if not hand feed a couple pieces of veggies every a.m. while in his basking spot warming up and yes its my fault and he is very spoiled. I find that he wants his food at the same time everyday to as I slept in the weekend just a little and he was standing in the feed dish staring at me as if to say were is my food. Love him very much he is a special little guy but aren't they all so for me I enjoy the one on one time so probably will be my only dragon at least for now.

DragonsVS

Bearded Dragon Egg
I only have two. I want 5 or 6 but I know that the amount of time I could spend with more than the 2 I have now would not be quality. I don't want to have to rush around to make sure i get loving in on everyone. My friend has 4 and she says they are allot of work, even though there is just 4... but she is an animal rescue so she has other things to worry about, that can't wait. Her beardies are so friendly and are the parents of my beardies Virgil sweet little guy a but shy and afraid of hands and Sakari a little stink who enjoys biting me (trouble taming) that another thing you would have to tame the new ones and not al beardies are created equal. I had an OBER aggressive beardie up until his live failed. He never bit me but he would put up a fight to be held. I had raised him since he was about 10 inches he was about 19 when his liver went bad I had him for about 9-12 months and he was super tame but as soon as he was sexually mature or hit puberty he was just mean, and Sakari is on that track at the moment but I hold him everyday, I think it may have to do with his cage mate...his little brother or sister but the UVB bulb I had was trash and we had to order a new one we are getting today and then Virgil will go into his own cage and they wont have to share anymore.

But I think to many is a personal opinion I think 4 would be my max anymore and I would have to many but I cant get 4 because I dont have the room and like I said the quality of time spent would diminish. It depends on what you feel you can do and what you are capable of managing.

Best of luck
Angie

Latest posts