• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long without UVB?

SpicyOda

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a baby beardie. He started closing one eye for a few seconds and then opening it, alternating eyes randomly every once in a while. After a bit of research I found that the UVB bulb I have (10.0 reptisun) May be harming his eyes. I know to get the reptisun tube bulb and a fixture, but at my local store that will cost me quite a bit. I won't be able to get it until next week and am worried about long term damage to Oda's eyes. I heard they can go a little agile without a UVB bulb, but for how long?

chandler.steinhoff.9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a baby beardie. He started closing one eye for a few seconds and then opening it, alternating eyes randomly every once in a while. After a bit of research I found that the UVB bulb I have (10.0 reptisun) May be harming his eyes. I know to get the reptisun tube bulb and a fixture, but at my local store that will cost me quite a bit. I won't be able to get it until next week and am worried about long term damage to Oda's eyes. I heard they can go a little agile without a UVB bulb, but for how long?
from my "bad experiences"

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Im guessing that you mean you have a coiled or compact fluorescent light (CFL), is that right? It is true that they used to have issues that could lead to eye problems, but it seems like those have been resolved. However, its just sort of a faulty technology as they only produce a very small area of good exposure and in a very intense way. Could you post a picture of your set up?

As for how long they can go, its quite a while. One study showed that vitamin D metabolite levels did not decrease for close to three months, but this was only if levels were good to start with. Since its a CFL bulb you have, its anyones guess right now as to what your dragons metabolite levels are. I would say shut the light off for a day or two and see if that solves the problem. If after a couple days without the light, your dragon is still closing its eyes like that, then it could be another issue. Either way, Id recommend getting the long fluorescent tube when you are able to.

SpicyOda

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is my set up, 100w zoomed basking light on the right, 10.0 reptisun compact on the left. I know it's a little bare, but I only wanted to necessities to start out with. I have a 75w all living things bulb for his night light in a different fixture because it's chilly at night in my house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 130

SpicyOda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im guessing that you mean you have a coiled or compact fluorescent light (CFL), is that right? It is true that they used to have issues that could lead to eye problems, but it seems like those have been resolved. However, its just sort of a faulty technology as they only produce a very small area of good exposure and in a very intense way. Could you post a picture of your set up?

As for how long they can go, its quite a while. One study showed that vitamin D metabolite levels did not decrease for close to three months, but this was only if levels were good to start with. Since its a CFL bulb you have, its anyones guess right now as to what your dragons metabolite levels are. I would say shut the light off for a day or two and see if that solves the problem. If after a couple days without the light, your dragon is still closing its eyes like that, then it could be another issue. Either way, Id recommend getting the long fluorescent tube when you are able to.
He also hasn't done the eye thing in a few days.. But I am getting the long tube anyway.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Can you tell me what the measurements of your enclosure are and how old your dragon is?

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
That's a nice enclosure! You have to start somewhere! Sometimes less is better. The bulb you use for nighttime, i assume it's a light bulb, right? If so, it'd be a good idea to switch it with a ceramic heat emitter. It throws off heat but no light so your beardie can sleep. They need darkness for a healthy sleeping cycle.