• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long does it take for a MVB to stabilize?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We bought Sal a mercury vapor bulb (160 watt) and did the recommended 'burn in' period ~ we didn't measure temps during that period since it wasn't near Sal's enclosure. Since we put it in, the temps keep changing. It will be 105F one minute and 99F the next. It's not getting too high (one of us has been home since we put it in and we've been watching the temps every hour) but it won't stabilize. Is this normal for a new MVB?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm..I used one once and never noticed that happening. I guess with anything, temps do fluctuate and don't necessarily hold constant. As long as you are not dipping 10 degrees, I wouldn't worry too much.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It goes anywhere from 99F to 112F. Not quickly but it's up and down that scale.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Huh. What are you using to measure your temps?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Two probe therms, one at each end of the viv. The temps stay pretty constant at the cool end.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It will do that... You're okay. Like Renee said... if there isn't a 10 degree difference, then it's fine.
Janie

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
It will do that... You're okay. Like Renee said... if there isn't a 10 degree difference, then it's fine.
Janie

It goes anywhere from 99F to 112F. Not quickly but it's up and down that scale. It'll be 105F for an hour and then jump to 111F. It doesn't seem to matter how far away the lamp is positioned (it hangs above his viv vertically, no screen).

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think you are fine. There are a number of factors that can affect temps fluctuating. Things such as length of time the bulb heats up. Door opening and closing to outside. Drafty windows by the viv...just to name a few.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you! I think we figured it out, and it's basically what you just said, Renee... we got the door shut to his room and it stabilized. He LOVES the MVB, by the way. I really think he was starved of UVB from his previous owners never replacing that 5.0 tube :( *mad at them but it's ok because he's with us now*

Thanks again!

moth_ay

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Awww did you rescue your beardie? I'm in a similar situation too... I don't know the exact conditions he was kept in, but I know they weren't good. The story goes, some who owned Dude before, left him, a dog and a red eared slider alone in her house for 3-4 weeks (ran off to Vegas and got married), with no pet sitter or anything... So the neighbor told her she had to report her if she didn't relinquish the pets... The neighbor called our school, we have loads of well taken care of reptiles, and asked if we could take Dude and the turtle. The story seems kind of sketchy to me, I kind of think it was the woman who brought the animals in, not her supposed neighbor... Either way, he was not kept in good conditions, bright blue hermit crab sand that looked like it had never been changed, and freeze dried crickets were his main diet. Now that he has a UV light, that is basically the only place where he likes to sit :D And like you, it doesn't matter what happened before, he's in a good home now <3 How did you get your rescue?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
moth_ay said:
Awww did you rescue your beardie? I'm in a similar situation too... I don't know the exact conditions he was kept in, but I know they weren't good. The story goes, some who owned Dude before, left him, a dog and a red eared slider alone in her house for 3-4 weeks (ran off to Vegas and got married), with no pet sitter or anything... So the neighbor told her she had to report her if she didn't relinquish the pets... The neighbor called our school, we have loads of well taken care of reptiles, and asked if we could take Dude and the turtle. The story seems kind of sketchy to me, I kind of think it was the woman who brought the animals in, not her supposed neighbor... Either way, he was not kept in good conditions, bright blue hermit crab sand that looked like it had never been changed, and freeze dried crickets were his main diet. Now that he has a UV light, that is basically the only place where he likes to sit :D And like you, it doesn't matter what happened before, he's in a good home now <3 How did you get your rescue?

Oh my, what an awful story :'( Thankfully, he's with you now! Yes, we rescued him from what we didn't realize until later was not an ideal situation. Originally, we were told he was being rehomed because their 9 year old son was no longer interested in him, but when we got there we saw that they had an old 5.0 tube UVB light that was insufficient to start with, and then they bragged about how they'd never had to replace it because it was still working after 2 years :eek: There were other issues with his set up and previous care. I don't think anyone was neglecting him on purpose (like the previous owner in your story) but they just weren't educated about Beardie care. They probably trusted what the pet store said and never gave it another thought :-\

Anyway, he is doing really great now, and feisty as ever, which is good because it means he is feeling better :) We also rescued a Frilled Dragon (we pick him up on the 21st) and when we went to pick up a custom built cage for him that this other woman had for her iguana, she told us an awful story. The iguana she had was also a rescue... the woman she got her from had no basking lamp, heat or UV, and had her on a human heating pad as her only source of heat! Her belly was burned and had sores all over it... the woman clearly had no clue how to care for an iguana... anyway, the lady who rescued her nursed her back to health and had her for many years. Her tummy took forever to heal and she said there were still scars on it until the day she died, but she lived many more years than she would have had she been forced to stay with her original owner :'(

It's sad and it makes me angry - sentiments many on this board share, I'm sure. There is so much information on the web and yet no one can be troubled, it seems, to do a little research. I hate pet stores ::)

moth_ay

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh man :( I just don't get it. How can someone do something like that to another living thing? :( The pet stores have been less than helpful when asking questions about beardies... before I brought him home, I tried asking and they seemed so unsure, or they told me different things, that's when I decided to look on the web, and found here! I wonder how many people here have rescued beardies?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think a fair estimate would be ... many... I have a rescued dragon that I permanently have rehomed with our family...
Janie

Latest posts