• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WhosDank

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just bought a vivexotic large deep terrestrial viv for my beardie, think he's around 3-5 months old not sure as the shopkeeper didn't give me an exact age.. Im not sure whether to cut a circle on the top for the dome to go through, so I've sort of just angled the light like this for now how ever I'm not sure if its fine to keep like that as its radiating to the cold side and I feel like a lamp that shoots straight down would be more ideal so that he can bask and then move to cool side as he wants? The cold side reads between 20-25 degrees Celsius and the basking is at around 40 Celsius ambience is around 30 Celsius which I think is all good? Also is there any need for a reflector for my uvb? I have a 10% uvb swellreptile light with a t8 controller, any help whatsoever ever or advice on decor, more hides etc would be great, thanks
16044916080507413616389084077354.jpg
16044917205043749618888428347108.jpg
16044918555261675148012282848401.jpg
16044919937886120451992333434452.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just bought a vivexotic large deep terrestrial viv for my beardie, think he's around 3-5 months old not sure as the shopkeeper didn't give me an exact age.. Im not sure whether to cut a circle on the top for the dome to go through, so I've sort of just angled the light like this for now how ever I'm not sure if its fine to keep like that as its radiating to the cold side and I feel like a lamp that shoots straight down would be more ideal so that he can bask and then move to cool side as he wants? The cold side reads between 20-25 degrees Celsius and the basking is at around 40 Celsius ambience is around 30 Celsius which I think is all good? Also is there any need for a reflector for my uvb? I have a 10% uvb swellreptile light with a t8 controller, any help whatsoever ever or advice on decor, more hides etc would be great, thanks View attachment 24190View attachment 24191View attachment 24192View attachment 24193
Yes you need a reflector for the UVB --- it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece approx 6-8 inches for a T 8 --- basking temps need to be 105-110 F for a baby and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- stickons are inaccurate please get the reflector and the digital probe ASAP------------ your baby will not eat w/ out the proper lighting and basking temps in the tank --- those two things are the most important thing in the tank and it must be correct for the over all health of the dragon--
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-t8-fluorescent-reflectors/
It looks like you have a probe gauge for temps it needs to be placed on the spot where he basks
I think the placement is ok as long as its not shining in his eyes -- if it is I would suggest moving it directly over head and you want a bright white bulb no off colored yellowish bulbs

WhosDank

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes you need a reflector for the UVB --- it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece approx 6-8 inches for a T 8 --- basking temps need to be 105-110 F for a baby and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- stickons are inaccurate please get the reflector and the digital probe ASAP------------ your baby will not eat w/ out the proper lighting and basking temps in the tank --- those two things are the most important thing in the tank and it must be correct for the over all health of the dragon--
It looks like you have a probe gauge for temps it needs to be placed on the spot where he basks
I think the placement is ok as long as its not shining in his eyes -- if it is I would suggest moving it directly over head and you want a bright white bulb no off colored yellowish bulbs
Do you mean the probe needs to run along the tile to his rock or could I place it under the heat lamp along the viv wall? Or would it work under neath the tile itself so that its hidden or is that a stupid question? Yeah im gonna try find a way to put the lamp directly over his head, was just worried that it might be too close to him, I will get around to getting a gun to read his temps and will order a reflector does my placement for the uvb look all good to you? Can get more pics if needed

WhosDank

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you mean the probe needs to run along the tile to his rock or could I place it under the heat lamp along the viv wall? Or would it work under neath the tile itself so that its hidden or is that a stupid question? Yeah im gonna try find a way to put the lamp directly over his head, was just worried that it might be too close to him, I will get around to getting a gun to read his temps and will order a reflector does my placement for the uvb look all good to you? Can get more pics if needed

WhosDank

Bearded Dragon Egg
when you say uvb needs to be above basking decor piece did you mean the heat basking area or the dinosaur I have in the viv?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
when you say uvb needs to be above basking decor piece did you mean the heat basking area or the dinosaur I have in the viv?
Your UVB needs to be in a fixture w/ a reflector --- at this point its doing no good --- the UVB rays are going everywhere but to the dragon --- the reflector reflects the rays downward to the dragon - what ever you want to use for a decor piece that can sit directly underneath the UVB --- distance and placement of the UVB play a huge role in the effectiveness of the UVB --- here is a fixture I am talking about this is a example - given the size of the tank if its a 40+ gallon tank I recommend and 24" fixture https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this is what you need for the tank --- just a UVB bulb will not work it needs a reflector and to be placed properly in the tank w/ the distance for a T 8 ---- if you go w/ a T 5 it would need to be 12-15 inches from basking decor

Latest posts