• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How far is too far

Kristenk

Hatchling Dragon
I have an opportunity to rehab/rescue a very poorly BD. I have all the necessary supplies and a good vet. Carnivore care and liquid calcium on deck, uvb etc etc.
BD background: 3 years old never had uvb o calcium has lived her whole life in a ten gallon tank with a red bulb for heat. Owner has gone to jail and the sister took the dragon in she says the dragon is eating super worms and greens but still in a ten gal with no lights.
How far is too far for MBD. What is quality of life like for a dragon in this state. They can't tell us when they hurt so would I be keeping an animal in pain by keeping her around longer. I know this is best answered by my vet but I want to make an educated decision if I do take her in.
FB_IMG_1647217636386.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have an opportunity to rehab/rescue a very poorly BD. I have all the necessary supplies and a good vet. Carnivore care and liquid calcium on deck, uvb etc etc.
BD background: 3 years old never had uvb o calcium has lived her whole life in a ten gallon tank with a red bulb for heat. Owner has gone to jail and the sister took the dragon in she says the dragon is eating super worms and greens but still in a ten gal with no lights.
How far is too far for MBD. What is quality of life like for a dragon in this state. They can't tell us when they hurt so would I be keeping an animal in pain by keeping her around longer. I know this is best answered by my vet but I want to make an educated decision if I do take her in. View attachment 31721
The dragon is dying --- please get the dragon to a rescue center or you take him in - a 10 gallon tank is way to small but the dragon needs correct lighting now - if he is still eating I am surprised as he is not able to digest his food and yes I am sure he is suffering from MBD as I can see his tail is all curled along w/ the front feet -- at this point hes going to stay w the effects of the MBD but you can stop it from progressing any further - I can help you get proper lighting -- get him into a tote I am posting a hospital tank - its a 20 gallon tote - this is a long tube fixture UVB I would recommend getting a Zoo Med 24" it will come w/a 5.0 bulb you want to get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this is going to be a stronger bulb so you want her out of the 10 gallon tank NOW -- the distance should be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of decor -- please get a digital probe thermometer so you can place the probe on the basking spot - temps should be 95-100 -- it is going to be trial and error w/ the basking bulb --- please get rid of the red bulb the dragon has eye damage I am guessing -- colored bulbs should NEVER be used -- get a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb start w/ a 75 watt if its not getting temps up to what I posted 95-100 get a 100 but I am thinking the 75 watt should do it --- set the tank up like the pic shown --- but in order to save this dragon this should be done NOW -- is the dragon moving around able to climb? Check your pet stores for the UVB I posted they will carry a 20" fixture but that is a T 8 bulb the and the one I posted above is a T 5 -- please ask for more help I will guide you the best I can
1647265093902.png

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please make sure the dragon is hydrated by rinsing the greens before serving -- and she needs a staple feeder like crickets or dubia roaches -- super worms are treat worms only --- please start dusting the insects w/ calcium D3 but you must have the UVB I posted for the dragon to be able to absorb the calcium this is the biggest cause of MBD --- as long as she is eating on her own that is good -- but you need to start working on getting her the correct lighting that I posted --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Kristenk

Hatchling Dragon
Please make sure the dragon is hydrated by rinsing the greens before serving -- and she needs a staple feeder like crickets or dubia roaches -- super worms are treat worms only --- please start dusting the insects w/ calcium D3 but you must have the UVB I posted for the dragon to be able to absorb the calcium this is the biggest cause of MBD --- as long as she is eating on her own that is good -- but you need to start working on getting her the correct lighting that I posted --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I have not picked her up yet. I spoke with the woman yesterday. I wanted to be prepared before I went to get her. I have the uvb already and basking bulbs and hospital tank. A friend who is a vet tech said I would probably be bringing her home to euthanize her. I wanted to ask her if she looks to be able to have a fulfilling life after I bring her home. I have a dubia colony I grow my self. And staple greens I have some bsfl on the way.

Kristenk

Hatchling Dragon
I guess my main question is even if I can rehab her back to a 'healthy' point how do I know she isn't in constant terrible pain am I prolonging something that would bring her relief. I know this is a question for my vet , I just wanted some first hand knowledge of what I am looking at down the road.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess my main question is even if I can rehab her back to a 'healthy' point how do I know she isn't in constant terrible pain am I prolonging something that would bring her relief. I know this is a question for my vet , I just wanted some first hand knowledge of what I am looking at down the road.
I can have someone w/ more experience answer your question - as long as she is eating thats a good sign - let me get back w/ you on this and see what they say

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can have someone w/ more experience answer your question - as long as she is eating thats a good sign - let me get back w/ you on this and see what they say
Here is what she said

Poor little beardie......like you guys already mentioned, we can't measure their pain. A few things to gauge it , is the beard black a lot ? Does she move at all on her own ? Does she eat willingly ? Most animals that have an appetite are still enjoying life to at least some degree, or have the will to live.

I agree w/ her do not euthanize her if shes still eating etc

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had a vet tech respond to the post here is what she said
Hello!

It is very hard to know sometimes how much they are suffering but as mentioned, if she is still
eating & active, it is worth a try to help improve her life. At least she would have some care &
love for awhile, she deserves that. Any pictures of her?

Kristenk

Hatchling Dragon
I was also informed today that she has a growth on her mouth that has ' been there since day one'...... She is not in my possession yet!!

Attachments

• received_304954788227404.jpeg
    received_304954788227404.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 59
  • received_713155900127623.jpeg
    received_713155900127623.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 61

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was also informed today that she has a growth on her mouth that has ' been there since day one'...... She is not in my possession yet!!
I have asked for help w/ the mouth issue- please keep me posted on her - thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have asked for help w/ the mouth issue- please keep me posted on her - thank you
Here is what has been advised

Aw, now that's pretty serious. They aren't born like that, it looks like an infection or mouth rot has developed on the one side. I would say that if she doesn't eat then it might be best to put her down. So sad that they let her get in this condition, crippled, starved and with a wound/ infected mouth.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How far is too far for MBD. What is quality of life like for a dragon in this state. They can't tell us when they hurt so would I be keeping an animal in pain by keeping her around longer. I know this is best answered by my vet but I want to make an educated decision if I do take her in. View attachment 31721
My Goodness!! Those people should be in prison!! YES u can help the dragon; I rescued one with severe MBD and she is so happy and strong right now. The Beardie needs a CLEAR basking bulb for heat; the best is ZooMed never ever use colored Bulbs and the second light you need is a long tubular bulb for UVB; the Best is the Reptisun 10.0 T5; the length of the UVB that u buy should cover 70 percent of the tank and should be placed starting on the Hot/basking side. Make sure he’s at least 10-12 inches away from the UVB light. Please get these bulbs ASAP and get at least a 40 gallon tank minimum and bigger if possible. UVB needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously. Keep both lights on for 12 hours in the winter and 14 in the summer. For now I wud do 13 hours. You can reverse/stop the MBD by doing the UVB/Heat; ASAP. Also make the tank fall proof meaning if he climbs up and down which will be really hard in the start olace soft blankets rolled up or cushion the area so he doesn’t break a bone. The superworms and greens (mustard greens, yellow squash, collard greens, butternut squash) are very good & once a week some apples and blueberries; but limit the superworms & add Dubia roaches & crickets. He needs UVB & Heat for vitamin D, to absorbe and breakdown the calcium & to have strong bones and be able to move and digest the food. And lots of protein to build his bones back to health. So YES you can save him & he will be somewhat healthy;)

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have not picked her up yet. I spoke with the woman yesterday. I wanted to be prepared before I went to get her. I have the uvb already and basking bulbs and hospital tank. A friend who is a vet tech said I would probably be bringing her home to euthanize her. I wanted to ask her if she looks to be able to have a fulfilling life after I bring her home. I have a dubia colony I grow my self. And staple greens I have some bsfl on the way.
Hi there. I have been rescuing bearded dragons for 7 years, so I understand your concern. The reality is, right now, she may be in pain, but giving her the right care, especially lighting, heat, and nutrition, will relieve most of the pain in a fairly short period of time. However, the damage done to her is not reversible at her age, so she is going to have special needs. You’re going to have to make sure she has a low to the ground basking area, and you may have to hand feed her until she’s strong enough to utilize a short-edged food dish. She is not the worst I’ve seen, but her rehabilitation will be a long one. I’ve seen plenty of dragons that get along just fine once they’re getting what they need on a regular basis, even if they walk or eat a little wonky. She’s been trying to survive for 3 years, so if she’s still interested in survival, that’s saying something. She’s goong to take a long time to help, and you have to ask yourself if you have the stamina, time, resources, and heart to bring her back from the brink, and love her for who she is, handicaps and all. I’m rehabbing one right now that has a very similar background to this one. I’m documenting his rehab and recovery on my youtube channel “FinniansLair” if you’d like to see some of what you may be up against. Also, you definitely need to work in conjunction with a veterinarian, and I have had my latest little guy 4 weeks, and am into vet bills of $475, and counting. It’s up to you, but she will definitely die where she is, so even if you pick her up to euthanize her, please get her out of there. She is cold, starving, and suffering. I wish you the best, whatever your decision.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; please get her asap when she starts having energy and walking and u give her the UVB & heat needs to be handled asap; I wud keep it on for 14 hours everyday. Also she will Need lots of proteins aside from Dubias; please read what i posted in depth ams make the tank fall & injiry proof. Please add crickets as the main protein & give superworms in moderation because they are high in fat & soak him In a bath twice a week and immediately after bringing him home.

yfandes5_

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like you have the right supplies to rehab this baby. The damage already done to this bones isn’t fixable but you can correct the problem so he can thrive. I reached one with much worse deformities than yours. The vet said “put her down.” My response? “Not til I try.” It was touch & go for a while. But she recovered & lived a good life for close to 8 years!! If I can figure out how to do it, I’ll post a pic of her for you. You never know til you try how strong their will to live is. Good luck & please keep us updated! My MDB beardie’s name was Precious Sassy. She would go all territorial even with my big alpha female. She had no idea there was anything wrong with her!! Oh yeah - as much natural sunlight as you can give him! An hour of outdoor sun is the equivalent of a whole day of artificial UVB!

Attachments

• 8EA69749-A08D-4564-BEB2-D35AF1CC3C81.jpeg
    8EA69749-A08D-4564-BEB2-D35AF1CC3C81.jpeg
    705.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 9AB3CFB2-3656-4614-A34A-215A71E88A4C.jpeg
    9AB3CFB2-3656-4614-A34A-215A71E88A4C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
People that do that to animals deserve to rot in prison..that guy got his karma. Now for the sister...despicable!! Thats so great that your giving that beardie a second chance! Pls keep us updated with pics!! ❤

Latest posts