• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how far away to have basking light?

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi everyone -
just wondering how high up the basking light should be from the top of the tank? (how many inches above the screen)
I got my temperature gun - but it gives me all kinds of different readings depending how close I am to the surface - which makes sense but is confusing me more as to what the actual basking temperature is in there

thanks
Stephanie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi enough that your beardie can't reach it and low enough that your basking temp is b/w 105 & 110F for babies and 95-100F for adults.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I understand what the temp should be - but I am confused by the temperature gauges in my tank...
I have the temperature gun - but it gives me drastically different readings if I am 6 inches from the surface versus 3-4 inches from the surface. What distance do I measure from and how do I know which temperature is the correct one?
I also have a probe mounted on the side of the glass near the basking area but it is not directly under the basking light so how is that for accuracy??
Once I get the details down I will be good! Then I can figure out why he's not eating today...UGH...

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I've never used a temp gun, so I'll give you a link to another post that had similar questions to yours:
http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-forum/temperatures/questions-about-the-temp-gun/

Regarding the probe, the side of the glass gives you an idea, but if you could lay it on the top of the basking spot for a bit, that would provide a more accurate reading of your basking temp.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thank you - I will give that a shot
he hasnt been eating much of anything for the past 2 days (nothing at all yesterday) so Ive been trying to find the reason...
maybe I should just leave him alone - lol :)

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so Im probably over analyzing this temperature thing but I have one more question...
I have the gauges halfway up the back wall of the tank - should the one in his basking area measure 105-110 degrees? or should the surface of his basking log or hammock be at that temperature?
thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Stephanie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No worries on the questions. How else will you learn?

The highest point of the basking spot should be around 105-110F

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so the top of his log or hammock should be at 105-110 degrees - which I can measure by putting the probe right on top...right?
and therefore the gauges attached to the side of the tank are basically useless then because they are not measuring the actual basking spot??
thanks yet again...

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would take the stick on ones right out of there. They aren't very accurate and the temp gun is awesome.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gosh, good catch, Corrine. Where was my brain?

Stick on thermometers can be off by 20 degrees.

Latest posts