• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how far away does temp gun need to be?

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
just wondering how far from the surface it is measuring should the temperature gun be?

thanks
Stephanie

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
csjstokes said:
just wondering how far from the surface it is measuring should the temperature gun be?

thanks
Stephanie

it's going to very per gun.

Test it on something hot like a light bulb. Start close and back away. When the readings start to differ that's your max range.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think it's going to roughly be from 3 to 6 inches away is the most accurate with nothing between the gun and the spot you are measuring. The instruction booklet should tell you

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ric said:
csjstokes said:

thanks
Stephanie

it's going to very per gun.

Test it on something hot like a light bulb. Start close and back away. When the readings start to differ that's your max range.

This was the suggestion I was going to make. I believe you need to be within 6 inches though I just have never actually tested it with mine lol.

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It really is going to depend on the gun. The one I have gives a good reading at 2.5 feet. Another one I played with the other day only worked at about 6 inches. Read the booklet and test it on any surface that is keeping a constant temp.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
* I get best results moving mine around and looking at the average mine calculates. Also, I do not point the laser through the glass, I feel like it may skew the reading. :)

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sublyme said:
* I get best results moving mine around and looking at the average mine calculates. Also, I do not point the laser through the glass, I feel like it may skew the reading. :)

It will, most definitely, skew the reading as I feel it'll show the temp of the glass and not the surface you're trying to read.

Latest posts