• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how do you start hand feeding?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brian pretty much summed it up. Thanks!

You can look at it as 'getting lucky' or you can look at it that you did your homework and are an excellent caregiver for these critters.

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i know i posted a lil while ago that i was getting another beardie, i told my gf that it's not a good idea to pick up the other one cause getting another tank and the setup is expensive and also this one needs all our love and attention. i know my beardie is far too young to tell if it's a male or female but i think it's a girl, under the tale it has one small node. but maybe that'll change lol.

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so i just wanted to say that my lil one ate 5 crickets under a minute today! :eek: this is a start cause she or he only ate between 1 or 3 crickets a day.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Woo-hoo! Isn't it funny the things we get excited about with these little ones?

LeslieA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've read about this several times now, about putting the crix in a bag and coating them. Then putting them and the baby in a small box. Mine is eating about 5 crix 3 times a day. Is this something I should be doing, putting the crix and the baby in a box to eat as i've been putting the crix in the viv with the baby? Just curious.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When a beardie is very young (3 weeks old), it is recommended to put them in a separate feeder. The reason behind this is that they need to learn how to catch the crickets. And being in a small enclosure helps with this.

Some chose to feed their beardie outside of the viv for the simple reason of not having to chase down the crickets that are not eaten. A beardie will eat his/her fill within 10-15 minutes.

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
she has been eating about 10 crickets a day now. im so happy her appetite is startin to show :]]

this morning was terrible though! i changed her black light to the day light and fell back asleep. i wake up at 10:30 and her light was dead! i looked at the tank and it was at 71 degrees and honey (her name now) was cold! i freaked when i noticed her eyes were starting to swell! but they went back to normal in a minute...does this happen when they're cold?

the light was 9 days old so i dont know why it died but i took her out of the tank and wrapped her in a warm towel i threw in the dryer prior and betched at petsmart for selling bad bulbs. they ended up returning my dead one and exchanged it for a new one they just recieved.

*sighs* my poor honey :[[

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would stop the black light. It is not needed and can impact their night sleep. They need it dark, just like you and me.

I've had new bulbs blow for no reason. I know some have had success with standard household lights for basking areas.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think a pic to give us a look at the goop you reference would help a lot.

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i've tried to take a picture but she keeps closin her eyes hah.

it's not there now, i'm just keepin an eye on her if it does show again. the eye buldging thing just scares me lol guess it comes with being new to all this. she is rubbing all over her vines and she hasnt had her first shed yet so we'll see.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We've beeeeeeeeen there ;)
Janie.
shhhh don't let on,,, but most of us hide our anxieties ;) lol

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
haha i'm sure ;)

so what's the purpose of my lil beardie basking in the light with her mouth open?

& I dont think i posted this but she's a Sunfire Yellow mix, her yellow is comming out a little bit on her back. once she gets through her shed i'll post a pic of her colors

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
AshleyMac said:
haha i'm sure ;)

so what's the purpose of my lil beardie basking in the light with her mouth open?

& I dont think i posted this but she's a Sunfire Yellow mix, her yellow is comming out a little bit on her back. once she gets through her shed i'll post a pic of her colors

thermo regulation. as beardies are a cold blooded creature their body can not control their temps like ours does. same thing you have seen alligators and crocodiles do. while basking they open their mouths to cool their body off but still absorb sunlight (rather than move away from the light source)

AshleyMac

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh that's interesting, honey's just started doin it. i didnt think it was bad or anything i just didnt know why they did it lol, thanks brian :]

Latest posts