• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do we feel about mercury vapor heat lights?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
MVBs are designed for larger enclosures, Most BD enclosures are not large enough to provide the minimum safe distance required to use them. Also much of the time they will not produce the temps required if the minimum safe distances are followed & a second bulb is required to supplement the heat. So please be sure research what the minimum safe distances are for the particular brand & wattage of MVB you intend on using & be sure that your enclosure will accomodate it, so you do not harm your BD.

Generally a 100W MVB's minimum safe distance is 12" from Bulb to the closest area that your BD has access to, which should be the basking spot. A 160W MVB's minimum safe distance is 15" while most manufacturers recommend having 18" to 20" to be sure. Closer & you are putting your BD at risk of the harmful rays emitted from MVBs at close range.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, truly it depends on your enclosure. They put out a lot of heat so your enclosure will have to be able to deal with this and still provide proper temp gradient. I wouldnt recommend one on anything smaller than a 40 breeder. I also wouldnt recommend one on most custom enclosures where the lights are mounted inside the cage itself.

I personally use them over most of my adult dragons.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Which halogen bulb does everyone suggest to use in a 40 gallon breeder tank? So halogen bulbs give off heat? I saw heat bulbs at lowes but they were 250 watt and that would bake my reptiles.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What wattage Halogen that will be needed, depends greatly on several variables, for instance, general ambient room temp , distance from the basking spot. setup, etc, etc. We all have to play around with different wattages to suit our particular setups. If your ambient room temps are in the the Mid to low 70s F range & up, I suggest trying a 50W halogen bulb for a 40 gal Breeder. Personally I always use the Philips brand bulbs, the Halogen, not the Halogena.

Good Luck

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Max is in a 40 breeder. His main basking spot is just about 15 inches from the light source. The bulb I was looking at is 100 watts. I also have a UTH and plan to get a ceramic heat coil to replace that shortly as the 24 hour heat source.

This is the bulb I am looking at...
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Power...1358671875&sr=8-6&keywords=mercury+vapor+bulb

Right now his basking light is a 150 watt ZooMed, and his UVA/UVB light is a CFL. I have read some things about the CFLs being too powerful and burning the retinas of beardies. I also like that the merc/vapor lights last a lot longer, so more cost effective in the long run.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Why do you have a 24 hr heat source? Do your night time ambient room temps drop below the low 60s F?

Your basking spot would pretty much have to be the floor to be able to achieve 15" from the bulb or have the bulb suspended above the enclosure in a 40 Gal Breeder.

If you actually have the basking spot that is no more than 2" off the floor, then the 100W may work for you. That is the only way that you would have the minimum safe distance of 12" from the BD standing on the basking spot.

Power Sun
IMG_1844.jpg

Mega-Ray
Mega-Ray001.jpg

As far as lasting longer, they should still be replaced yearly if not filtered by a screen, less if mounted above the screen. If you happen to have a UVB meter to measure the strength to be sure, only then would it be safe to try & get a little more out of an MVB or any other UVB source, for that matter. You would also find that most MVBs are very shock sensitive, a slight tap & most are finished.

I would be interested in seeing your source about the CFLs. Years ago there were some that had issues, causing photo-kerato-conjunctivitis, but from the info that I have seen, that has long since been rectified.

Pics of the setup would be helpful.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, here are some pics. I have, following the advice here, spartanized Max's quarters. His rock there is about 2 inches high. I'll admit though, your warning on the sensitivity of MVBs worries me. I am a total clutz.

My temps at night here are between 40°-60°f. North Florida in the winter. I live in a converted garage, so I am at the mercy of the outside temps.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts