• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do they know ?

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Hi my bearded dragons bella and George where purchased over a month ago they where both juveniles from different clutches.

Bella was a leatherback and George was a normal bearded dragon, George was bigger than Bella, and seemed to be more out going than Bella when I got him which was about a week after Bella.

George then was found to have on him red mites and Bella didn't so the pet shop I got them from took them both in and treated them for me...

Due to Bella not having any visible signs of mites I was able to take her back home first, and then 24hrs later I got George back.

Bella started to eat a lot more than George and started to match his size, George constantly sat on the rock at the basking side of the viv and I was becoming increasingly worried about him.

Now I had a viv that I purchased on eBay and was getting it ready due to the fact I was made aware that bearded dragons fight when older and also I was beginning to believe I had two males (the names of which will remain as is regardless) and Bella might be intimidating George.

So I moved George to my top viv, both my vivs are designed with a 150W basking bulb and a 150W ceramic heating bulb on one side known as the basking side, and a 30 inch 10% UVB across the entire length of the 3 foot vivs, as well as a rock and log inside.

The basking bulbs in each viv are regulated by dimming thermostats, and the ceramic heating bulbs are regulated with temperature thermostats.

The bulbs on the dimming thermostats are set at 38 degrees C and at night they turn off by a timing switch and the ceramic heaters on the temperature thermostats kick in at 24 degrees C when the viv has cooled down to maintain temps for the bearded dragons 24/7. The sensors for the thermostats hang down from the centre of the viv roof to about 6 inches into the viv.

The daytime temp at basking is 34 - 36 degrees C and the cool end is 28 - 30 degrees C.

The night time temp is 28 - 30 at basking end and 22 - 24 degrees C at the cool end.

Both beardies are now thriving on their food and baths, they love being held and played with (Bella was hard work lol) they are full of character and are shedding well.

Bella has way out grown George and I think Bella is a "George" and George is a "Bella" lol (however their names have stayed as they are).

Bella and George used to dig a hole in the sand (crushed almond) under their rock at night and lay in the shallow area that they prepared at night and then would come out when the lights turn back on.

My lights come on with timers at 0630 in the morning and go out at 2030 in the evening.

What I have started to notice of late is that both Bella and George start preparing their beds by digging the shallow hole under their rock 15 minutes before the lights go out like clockwork as if they know that the lights are going to go out!!!

How do they know this are they aware of time? As the temp is maintained until the lights go out so it's not as if they can sense the temp getting cooler...

I was just wondering if anyone knows how they do this or if anyone else's beardie does this?

Anyhow thank you for taking the time to read this I look forward to hearing more bed time stories about your bearded dragons...

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Hi my bearded dragons bella and George where purchased over a month ago they where both juveniles from different clutches.

Bella was a leatherback and George was a normal bearded dragon, George was bigger than Bella, and seemed to be more out going than Bella when I got him which was about a week after Bella.

George then was found to have on him red mites and Bella didn't so the pet shop I got them from took them both in and treated them for me...

Due to Bella not having any visible signs of mites I was able to take her back home first, and then 24hrs later I got George back.

Bella started to eat a lot more than George and started to match his size, George constantly sat on the rock at the basking side of the viv and I was becoming increasingly worried about him.

Now I had a viv that I purchased on eBay and was getting it ready due to the fact I was made aware that bearded dragons fight when older and also I was beginning to believe I had two males (the names of which will remain as is regardless) and Bella might be intimidating George.

So I moved George to my top viv, both my vivs are designed with a 150W basking bulb and a 150W ceramic heating bulb on one side known as the basking side, and a 30 inch 10% UVB across the entire length of the 3 foot vivs, as well as a rock and log inside.

The basking bulbs in each viv are regulated by dimming thermostats, and the ceramic heating bulbs are regulated with temperature thermostats.

The bulbs on the dimming thermostats are set at 38 degrees C and at night they turn off by a timing switch and the ceramic heaters on the temperature thermostats kick in at 24 degrees C when the viv has cooled down to maintain temps for the bearded dragons 24/7. The sensors for the thermostats hang down from the centre of the viv roof to about 6 inches into the viv.

The daytime temp at basking is 34 - 36 degrees C and the cool end is 28 - 30 degrees C.

The night time temp is 28 - 30 at basking end and 22 - 24 degrees C at the cool end.

Both beardies are now thriving on their food and baths, they love being held and played with (Bella was hard work lol) they are full of character and are shedding well.

Bella has way out grown George and I think Bella is a "George" and George is a "Bella" lol (however their names have stayed as they are).

Bella and George used to dig a hole in the sand (crushed almond) under their rock at night and lay in the shallow area that they prepared at night and then would come out when the lights turn back on.

My lights come on with timers at 0630 in the morning and go out at 2030 in the evening.

What I have started to notice of late is that both Bella and George start preparing their beds by digging the shallow hole under their rock 15 minutes before the lights go out like clockwork as if they know that the lights are going to go out!!!

How do they know this are they aware of time? As the temp is maintained until the lights go out so it's not as if they can sense the temp getting cooler...

I was just wondering if anyone knows how they do this or if anyone else's beardie does this?

Anyhow thank you for taking the time to read this I look forward to hearing more bed time stories about your bearded dragons...
Glad to hear George n Bella are coming on good. Im also like to say good choice on getting a new viv. They r a loner animal and wudnt ever choose to live with another they only cum togetha to mate. As for bed time well i uavnt a clue.but.both mine do the.same. For day 1 around 15-20 mins b4 lights out they both get in there corners. They both have 3/4 tile and 1/4 sand at the basking end with a few slabs in it. And both Diego and Boris dig themselves a little hole every nite and snuggle themselves down b4 bed. Havnt a clue how they know its nearly bed time but i have always said they r a very smart animal :) the thing i luv best is wen they wiggle there bums to get comfy :) so so cute !!

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I had one hanging upside down by one foot, stayed that way all night because I right she was hunting the cricket that never moved. Cricket was dead and as soon as the lights came on she flipped right around and started soaking up the heat. Stinker.

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Lol they have great characters I think they are fantastic they really are

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My lights go out at 8pm and at 7pm Luci picks his spot out and starts to wind down. If he is out of his tank at 7 he runs around and finds a corner and, I don't know if anyone else's do this, he tucks his back legs up tight against his sides. Then at 8pm eyes are closed!

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Lol yeah that's the same here that's amazing...

They must have some sort of time perception..

Either that or they are just tired and it's a body clock.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It must be some sort of body clock. I just remembered that Luci started this whole 7pm thing when the time changed.

Latest posts