• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hornworms Vs Silkworms

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
And if i keep steiner on crickets im going to buy them from an arnlmstrong retailer. They are strong crickets. One nearly jumped out of the 50 gal tank from a spot half way up. That activity could be beatrix eats them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just keep an eye on her. Luci always liked to eat a bigger size cricket. I don't give him huge crickets but if they fit width wise between his eyes I'm okay. I figure length wise a worm is always going to be bigger than the space between his eyes. He's very good at chewing his food.

I tell you, I am loving these horn worms. I gave a few of the smaller ones to one of my frogs that is a runt and he gobbled them right out of my hand! Luci really likes them too.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; I have used horns and silks for my reptiles. I find most love horns, and silks-I understand from a lot of research the silks have a lot of healing properties. Horns work good on their bowels. so if dragon needs to go to bathroom and is not- give a few horns.I don't give too many just a few a couple times a week for leo-gecko. My dragon is too young yet and looks at it as a teal invader of her tank lol. river-7

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Didnt know silks had healing properties, i knew they had a higher calcium content (probably from the mulberry leaf chow) and produce an enzyme that helps process the calcium.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Didn't know horn worms were good for the bowels! So far nobody has let anything loose yet but now I won't be shocked when it happens!

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Both beatrix and stiener eat the silkworms outta my my hands. I dont even get the chance to put the worms down before steiner or beatrix snaggs it out.

Unfortunately steiner is much more agressive than timid beatrix so i have to take her out of the tank and feed her one by one.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So horn worms haven't been the hit with Dexter that I hoped. She will eat one a day and I honestly think she does it because she forgets she doesn't like it. Yesterday I gave her one and when I tried to give her another one she twisted her head and backed away as if she was saying "ewwww, get that away from me!" It was the funniest thing!