• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hornworm Q.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
Recently i got hornworms for my bd and she ate them fine the first 3 days and now she refuses to eat them. I will hold a small one up to her face but she'll just smack it away, she does this almost every time. she'll lick it and then move her head away knowing what it is and won't eat it. If i feed her a waxworm she'll munch on that fine. What could be the reason? is she scared of them or does she just not like them. I pretty much stopped feeding her the horn worms.... for now.

BTW She is crazy over her roaches and they are pretty big in size, 1/2" - 1". She is good at eating her veggies and bd pellets.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
My dr
Recently i got hornworms for my bd and she ate them fine the first 3 days and now she refuses to eat them. I will hold a small one up to her face but she'll just smack it away, she does this almost every time. she'll lick it and then move her head away knowing what it is and won't eat it. If i feed her a waxworm she'll munch on that fine. What could be the reason? is she scared of them or does she just not like them. I pretty much stopped feeding her the horn worms.... for now.

BTW She is crazy over her roaches and they are pretty big in size, 1/2" - 1". She is good at eating her veggies and bd pellets.

:O my dragon does the same thing but with supers, i was using supers as her staple when i couldn't get hold of any crickets a while back and after a few days she point blank refused them, clamping her eyes shut and peaking every now and then to see if the super was still being held up to her face and batting them away. Also very little interest in their movement when i would put them on the floor of her viv.

do hornworms bite? i think perhaps a super clamped on her tongue when i fed her one and now she seems a bit scared of them, my main theory is that she got bored and fussy. She nows if she refuses something i tend to get anxious and give up trying only to feed her a waxworm, she wolfs down waxies :D

I think (in my dragons case) she is being manipulative and picky because she prefers waxworms over the other feeders! leave her a few days and try again, she'll probably eat one then :)

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
That is exactly what Steven does! She used to chow down on the hornworms the first few days and now she just moves her head to the side with her mouth closed tight shut (seems to be in a snobbish manner, lol). I think Hornworms do bite i could hear this chewing sound in the little container they are in. I'm not too fond of them at the moment... and i read somewhere that they should be fed to only adult bds. Mine is still a juvi and my friend's husband recommended me these bc he breeds feeders and said it would be fine.. but i don't think it is when they are young. I'm going to just get rid of them and buy phoenix worms and butter worms. My bd goes crazy over waxworms and mealworms, but when i try to alternate to hornworms in the middle of it she knows and refuses to eat them, even if they are just a tad bit bigger than the mealworms. i know that mealworms aren't good for them, but i just feed it occasionally.

How old is your BD?

I hear supers are good when they are adults too.

I changed my staple from crix to dubia roaches. They are easier to handle and MUCH cleaner, you should try them out. I like them so much better than the crix and i think they are better for your bd too. I found this site that has pretty reasonable prices, http://mulberryfarms.com/cart.html .

Thanks for you input on this topic :)

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
thats okay no problem :D I live in England and roaches aren't available over here >.< i wish they were! crickets smell so bad :L and they are difficult to maintain, my BD is roughly 14 months old so she's an adult :) but only 13inches as her previous owner didn't look after her properly so she's stunted.

She used to eat anything as she was extremely underweight and hadn't been fed prey in weeks previous to when i got her :/ but now she's fed daily she's starting to get picky ;)

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
i'm glad she is doing better now :) that's so sad to hear animals being abused like that :( she must be super cute tho :D

as for the crix, yes they do stink bad! and they are good at hiding and getting out of the cage if the screen isn't closed properly lol. now i don't find any loose crix and it doesn't smell as bad with the roaches. can you not order them? idk how it works over in england. :x

James Edwards

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's weird... I get hornworms from local reptile shows and my Beardie loves them! Maybe yours just got tired of them. You wouldn't want to eat the same thing over and over again either!!