• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hiding more and not eating well

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, my girl Ruby is 2 yrs old and im concerned about her. The last couple of weeks she has not been acting right . She has been laying in the corner or under her hide a lot and not wanting to bask. She's also not eating her greens much and she used to eat 1 -2 bowls a day now she barely touches it . Some days she doesnt take 1 bite. She will eat her crickets tho. She has not gone into a brumation yet and im wondering if this might be the start of one or something else is wrong .
She is in a 40g breeder
uvb: reptisun 10 tube, 3 months old
basking spot is about 100 , cool side 80
recently put in all tile floor , used to be play sand . I do have a dig box in there for her.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, more than likely your bearded is going into brumation.

I know not all beardies go into brumation but since ive never experienced this before do some just slow down and not go to sleep ? I will continue to give fresh greens everyday even if she doesnt eat them . Is there anything i should or shouldnt do for her ?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, some do not sleep the whole time but will slow way down. Doing the exact behavior your talking about. Another thing to remember is that when a dragon becomes a mature adult. They do slow way down, will generally eat much less, not as active, etc..

Id suggest two things to cover bases.
1. If she defecates, id recommend taking that into a vet for parasite analysis.
2. Soak her once a week. Unless she is in a deep sleep and does not wake when you pick her up.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Also, you said you recently changed her substrate. How recent? Does it coincide with her change in appetite? And you said the basking spot is about 100 - when was the last time you checked it, and how do you check it? The reason I ask is sand holds heat more than tile.

A few hours after changing from paper towels to sand my dragon hid in her hide for a few days, and didn't eat at all. Eventually I had to force her out of her hide and eat, which she reluctantly did, and then basked for a bit before going back to her hide. She did this for about a week.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Augie, I put full tile down within the last month. Before that i was using sand and tile so she was used to the tile being in there. She actually starting hiding before i put all the tile down. I use a thermometer with prob on the basking spot so i can see the temp all the time and the other prob is on the cool side. I do know tho, any time you change their environment it takes them time to adjust.
Im not sure if im liking all the tile down . I find it more of a pain to clean , not only do you have to clean the top of the tile the urine gets under the tile and you have to wash the bottom of the tank to. Ill give it some time and see how it goes. and like you said sand holds more heat .

Latest posts