• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hiding dragon?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone!

Today I made the change from paper towels to sand. Initially Reggie loved it! For about 5 minutes she didn't know what to make of it, but after I buried her tail in it she dug and dug for about two hours straight. I left her to it and when I came back in, didnt see her anywhere! Then out of the opening of her hide I saw a few of her toes.

I know to ignore odd behavior after major changes to the enclosure, but she has never used her hide not even once, and I've had it in there for a few months now. Until today, it's only use has been to support her basking driftwood.

When she did it the first time i took her out to make sure she was ok. I turned my back for five minutes, and she was back in it. She's been in there for about three hours now. It's getting close to lights out. Do I just leave her in there? That was the plan, but its pretty cramped in there and I want to make sure I shouldn't be concerned with anything.

As far as husbandry, everything is on point. I thought ahead and lowered the basking driftwood because I had heard temps are higher with sand. I just checked again and it's at 106.0 degrees, which is typical. She pooped once yesterday and again today (which is uncommon, usually she goes once a week). Both looked normal and occurred prior to me changing the substrate. Also, to prepare for any flakey behavior from her, I fed her a pretty big meal prior to changing the substrate. Let me know! Thanks!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I decided to leave her in her hide, but I'm still worried. She has always responded well to changes. When I first got her, she was eating the same day. When I moved her to a new cage, she went nuts (in a good way). It's just weird that she would go so reclusive after another change, especially after being so excited at first. :confused:

I'd appreciate any advice. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
She should be fine. She was probably tired from all the digging and the excitement of it all.
Please make sure that you give her another acclimatization period of 10+ days again just as if you had brought her home for the first time:)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yah that was the original plan, I've just never seen her behave this way! She's gotta be so cramped in there. I'll leave her be (she's still in there). I'll put a couple crickets in there just in case, since I'll be gone for the day.

Plus, cricket tracks look so cool in the sand. :cool: Thanks for the pep talk. I needed it!

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Another thing that I will highly recommend is that you monitor the temps in her enclosure a bit more closely over the next few days. Sand retains heat a whole lot more and longer so there is a possibility that you will need to adjust her lighting to compensate.
She will really enjoy the playsand. You can also get a larger hide at some point if you are still concerned about her being too cramped but I will bet that instead of cramped she has just found her a really comfy spot she didn't realize before and is also just hiding a bit because of substrate change being new:)
Enjoy!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
She's still under there. Hasn't come out once. :( How long can she stay in there? There's no light that can get in there and she hasn't eaten. I'm getting very concerned. How long should I let this go on? Ten days seems like it could hurt her.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you are concerned then just pull out the hide and check on her to see if she is okay.
I didn't necessarily mean that she would or should stay in there 10 + days. What I meant is that since you made a major change to her environment then she may act weird or unusual until she gets used to the new change. That new acclimation period is usually about 10 days or so for most dragons.:)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I got a little impatient after my previous post and did precisely that. She gobbled up about two dozen roaches, so I know she was hungry. She now is mostly out, but for an hour or two a day she likes to hang out in the hide. Very odd; now that there's sand in there she wants to use it. :)