• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hi I hope everyone doing good. Just thought I post some pic of the kids. Jessie
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380807091.948950.jpg
. And Scarlett this morning
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380807130.814779.jpg

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It is children's play sand has never had any problems with it

CalebL

Bearded Dragon Egg
As they can't digest it as they take it in daily it will build up in there stomach causing an inpaction and killing them. Please reconsider. Better safe than sorry.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Had tile in before I change them to sand. If you asked Germ the moditrater on here he will tell you all about the play sand is safe for them as long as you bake it and strain it to get all the big pepples out of it

CalebL

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well as a personal breeder of dragons and reptiles for 26 years, sadly I have had experience with sand impaction. But as I can't stop you I must sugest you start saving up for the vet Bill and surgery.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
You know every dragon is different all because yours had problem with sand doesn't mean mine will. Like say if I get cancer or something god forbid for smoking (I don't smoke) doesn't mean you will. It all a madder of opinion I think Thinks for letting me know but already knew about sand and all about it before I changed them too it I did do my studies about it and thought long and hard.

CalebL

Bearded Dragon Egg
Na it's fine and yeah I lost two breeders when I first started breeding them so yeah.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well as a personal breeder of dragons and reptiles for 26 years, sadly I have had experience with sand impaction. But as I can't stop you I must sugest you start saving up for the vet Bill and surgery.
Using strained washed play sand is perfectly safe, now if you are using gravel, that is a different story. That's not the sand's fault, just plain 'Poor Husbandry'. As for your statements about it causing impaction, if your husbandry is up to par, temps are right & your BDs are well hydrated, any fine sand (If it is strained, it will all be fine & washed sand has no binding agent, separates & falls apart when moistened, so will not clump like Calci-Sand.) will pass right through without issue. Have been using it in all my enclosures for almost a dozen years, for many BDs 10+" long, nose to tip of tail, with absolutely no issues, feeding in & out of the enclosure, as have many, many long time keepers & breeders since the start of the hobby. No one is saying that sand has to be used, just that setup properly it is a very viable & acceptable option. If you don't want to use it, it's simple, don't!

Another thing I would like to mention, about your 26 years experience as a 'Personal' Breeder (What the heck is that anyway?), something does not compute.

CalebL - Bearded Dragon Forum 2013-10-11 01-25-29.png

You entered your birthdate in your profile, or did you forget that that you are less than a week past 18 yo. Happy belated B-Day by the way ;) . Your introduction post leaves a distinct impression that you are the proud owner of a single 4 month old BD named Draco. So where is the BS? Methinks by your advice & terminology, that surely does not reflect a 26 year veteran keeper, let alone breeder, that, it lies here.

Last edited:

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thank you Was going to put tile back in went had it cut and still didn't fit so I said oh well I put his sand back in that I took out. I'm looking for a rock to put in their tank

Latest posts