• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hi

Crystal

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
All. New to forum.
I am a breeder of geckos and entered the world of beardies this evening. I was wondering what the waving they do means?

Thank you

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome

How many do you have? Are they housed together?

Arm waving is usually done by females (Although some males do it also). It is a submissive gesture signalling surrender to other beardies

Crystal

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thabk u. I have two in a 29 gallon. We are going to build a bigger one. As of right now, they are about 4-6 inches from head to end of tail. Last night I was sitting by the enclosure and the higher of the two would come to the front, look at me, wave its hand and go back to basking and wave at the smaller one. They both wave their hands. It seems like when they see me they will wave. Thanks for your help.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sure thing, i would just like to throw a word of caution in housing 2 together.......really not a good idea, things can go so bad so quick without notice.

Here is a link to a really informative other thread on co habitation, feel free to read it so you can make a well informed decision regarding this

Pages 1 and 4 have excellent very graphic pics of the consequences

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi & you will love having your beardies, they are such interesting animals & love to interact with us. I agree with P tho. Not a good idea to have 2 together until you know their sex. You can house females together, my own girls all live happily together, but you cant house males together or male & female as they will constantly fight for dominance or in the latter the male will constantly try to mate with the female. We found out too late our first 2 were male & female & she laid her first clutch when she was exactly a year old & it almost killed her as breeding takes so much out of them. She is now 3 and a happy healthy female. Hope this helps :)

Crystal

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you....I posted under Beardie Health a little while ago. I seperated them and now my little girl won't eat.....For more information, please see my post in Beardie Health and suggestions are welcomed....

DougT

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
my smaller Beardie just started waving a couple days ago and I was wondering the same thing. We have 2 from the same clutch that are just a year old,we had to sepparate the when they were around 4 months due to the larger being aggressive

Latest posts