• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HI to all - new to the forum

bullpup050

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi to all just found the site and read a few bits for pointers. Have had a bearded dragon for about a year now when we first got him Maxi was abt 5 inches long and has grown to about 15 inches so all seems good :) We just bought a new flexarium for Maxi and are wondering if there are any house plants small trees you can place inside other than buying vines or driftwood, also i note some of you say shouldnt use sand what else should you use, since we have had Maxi we have been using crushed oyster shell but would like to use somethin different more natural etc like he would find if in the wild. Oh the vivarium we first bought is an Oak Vivarium 24 x 18 x 18inch, the new flexarium is the 100ltr one so should last him a long time. will try and upload some pics later :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'll provide a link to our basic caresheet. It goes over the answers to your questions. To summarize, house plants can add humidity. I've used jade in the past, but did not have much luck with it surviving in the heat of the viv.

Tile makes a great substrate. Or if you want natural, you can do a part sand, part dirt mix. That is what their natural environment is like.

Bearded Dragon Care

Bearded Dragon Substrates

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome aboard!

I'd be careful with live plants. As Renee has already said, they can raise the humidity to an undesirable level where respiritory infections are a risk. Not that it can't be done with proper ventilation, just need to be sure you're careful.

bullpup050

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi and thanks for swift answers Our new vivarium is the flexarium its like one huge net but box formed so humidity wont be an issue its open to the room temperature but with the flurescent tube and heat lamp installed, it can only get as hot as our lounge is but with the benifits of being able to see where Maxi is all the time which we like. have 2 silk leaf plants hanging from the top at the moment but wanted to make it as natural as possible as we have loads of room

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
bullpup050 said:
Hi and thanks for swift answers Our new vivarium is the flexarium its like one huge net but box formed so humidity wont be an issue its open to the room temperature but with the flurescent tube and heat lamp installed, it can only get as hot as our lounge is but with the benifits of being able to see where Maxi is all the time which we like. have 2 silk leaf plants hanging from the top at the moment but wanted to make it as natural as possible as we have loads of room

Understood....that's cool.

Did you say the flexarium was 100 litres? If so, that translates to just over 26 gallons. To be honest, that's rather small for a beardie...especially if it's a cube. And even moreso if he's a year old and 15 inches. Do you have any pics? Perhaps they could help clear up any confusion on my part.

For reference, the enclosures I've built for mine are 180 and 150 gallons, or 681 and 568 liters, respectively.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
After seeing the wicked cool enclosures you made Craig I think Ima commission you to build one for me once Rex gets bigger hehe.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
After seeing the wicked cool enclosures you made Craig I think Ima commission you to build one for me once Rex gets bigger hehe.

LOL! I've heard that many times. ;D

Thanks dude!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome. Looking forward to seeing some pics

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome. To help with the substrate question. I have textured ceramic tile in my vivs, easy to clean, trims the nails and looks good. You can also use reptile carpet, news paper, or paper towel. I would take the shell out quickly.

Latest posts