• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi pls help I am a new bearded dragon owner

Kykynblueythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also what does it mean when he keeps staring at me or staying in one place for long

Attachments

• IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5524.jpeg
    IMG_5524.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the bulb that’s in the lamp and this is his cage
Where is the UVB? If its in the dome please get rid of it - that would be a coil and they are inadequate for UVB--- I dont see any temp gauges--- you need two digital probe thermometers one for getting surface basking temps of 105-110 and one on the cool side of the tank - 80ish during the day -- the UVB needs to be a long tube fixture -- I can post links for 3 good ones -- this is imperative to his health - cant stress this enough -- the basking bulb is good as long as its keeping the temps to what I posted-- are you using any colored bulbs? He should not be glass surfing at night so this tells me there is either a colored bulb is being used or the tank is too warm -- dragons should have cool temps at night 65-75 ambient for sleeping ---

Kykynblueythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not that I know of like said I got recommended all my stuff from the people at petco and did some research so I am purchasing the temp and humidity thing

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
But I have a light that’s white but it’s two bulbs But the box is marked 50ww
You need a uvb - please do not listen to the Petco people they will give bad advice and can kill your dragon- take a pic of the bulbs please so I can see the - the bright white basking bulb needs to keep temps 105 - 110 for a dragon that's 2-5 months old- this is crucial for him to start digestion - the uvb is to prevent illnesses and most of all mbd- he's growing this is imperative - are you dusting his insects? Calcium D 3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated on the insect- vitamin w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated on the insect- the surface basking temps and uvb are the most important thing in the tank - he will stop eating if this is incorrect-- indo not believe the 50 watt bulb is going to get your surface basking temps to what they need to be- what size is your tank? You need those digital probe thermometers

Kykynblueythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay I will send u it as soon as I get home but also another question do u have tips on food or stuff for his cage THATS recommend or someone or something I could look at to get a ideal look of what he should have or be doing/eating

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay I will send u it as soon as I get home but also another question do u have tips on food or stuff for his cage THATS recommend or someone or something I could look at to get a ideal look of what he should have or be doing/eating
We need to keep him eating and the only way to do that is to get his tank husbandry on par - here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated - fresh salads every morning along w/ his insects -- hes going to eat more of the insects as this is his main diet for now but you want him eating some of the salad so I am going to post some websites to get this off of - you want a salad bowl similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d its great for keeping small dubias in and BSFL - which are a great staple for babies and as a good back up to the dubia roaches -- you will not need to dust the BSFL -- insects are cheaper to get on line than the pet stores --- dubias can be ordered like 200 at a time and kept in a 10 gallon aquarium - feed them dubia food along w/ dubia dew and things you feed the dragon like squashes some fruits raw shredded sweet potato -- do not feed carrots to both the dubias and dragon you will end up w/ orange poop -- gutload them at night or feed them at night so they are full when you feed the dragon in the morning -- he should be eating 2 times per day now - roaches around 10-15 of them or so if you feed him BSFL on top of his salads before the roaches feed around 20 or so - drop them in front of him so it gets his attention -- if he really likes them he will eat them fast so you dont want that or they will come out undigested --- you can use them to hand feed to get him hand tamed -- get him some small super worms feed 1-3 on his salads every other day -- you dont want him hooked on worms --
www.symptonbsf.com order medium for now
www.dubiaroaches.com - go by the chart on their website for size -- you dont want any insect bigger than the space between his eyes --
please get a UVB ASAP---- do you have a PetSmart where you live? I am going to post some websites for UVB's --- there are 3 that are good ones I recommend -- size of the tank please

Kykynblueythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! Thanks I am now seeing this I will being going tomorrow to find the stuff if not I will oder it off online. And u said I do not want him hooked on worms why is that? (He has only been eating the meal worms he ate like 4-6 today but he doesnot eat the freeze dried crickets I offered him but he did eat a bit of greenery today but I tried to put a bit of banana or strawberry ( I got told they might like it ) he did not take a bite of that , is he still to young?and as we speak he was sleeping when I was sitting in front the tank but as soon as I went up to bed he woke up..? How do I fix that

Kykynblueythebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
And today after a while of his feeding time I tried to hold him but it seems he is still not yet used to me and ran to the back of the cage so I am not sure if he is scared of me because he does like staring at me or coming close to the glass if I’m infront of him but he has only let me held him twice (which was for short period)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is this ok For him , or is there more needed ?
I would feed more roaches than the BSFL - they are small and hes going to need a ton to keep up w/ his appetite -- he will eat at least 50 75 of the BSFL because of that --- so I would order more roaches like I said 200 of them and 100 of the BSFL and feed 20 25 on his salads to get him to that bowl -- dust the roaches w/ calcium D3 lightly coated ONCE per feeding -- I posted about that as well--- please NO more meal worms- they are too harsh on babies stomach and can cause impaction--- get him some small super worms feed 1-3 on his salads every other day- your dragon is a baby and in a big world - he needs to adjust to his surroundings and tank --- you need proper husbandry for him to do so - hes curious in his big world --- hand feed the BSFL so he gets used to your hand in the tank - get a piece of clothing or small blanket etc put in his hide something w/ your smell on it so he gets used to your smell -- you need a good UVB please do not run out and buy just any UVB they are not all the same quality ----- do you have a Pet Smart in your area? what size is the tank please--

Latest posts