• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi New with some questions

Jenn_Tigercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I am new here and looking to get a beardie, I actually have been for a while and finally decided to. I am not new to reptiles however and have 8 corn snakes, 4 leopard geckos, and four frogs (two green tree frogs and two White's tree frogs). I also raise my own colony of mealworms and have started on a colony of lobster roaches. I have some questions though. I have a 29gallon aquarium that he or she will be going into. What would be the ideal temp for a beardie and also should the incandescent light be set on a timer to give them a day night cycle? Also what is the best substrate to use for them. I know sand is a no for most, I don't even use it for my geckos as I know it isn't safe for them to ingest and I know the same to be true for beardies. Would reptile carpet be best for them? Thanks for any advice and information.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome

I have a 29gallon aquarium that he or she will be going into.
29 Gallons will do untill he/she is about 10-12 mnths old. Once adults they need a minimum of 40 gallons space (The more the better)

What would be the ideal temp for a beardie and also should the incandescent light be set on a timer to give them a day night cycle?
Temps for babies (0-12/18 months)
Basking: 105-110
Cool side 85 ish (some like it closer to 80 but most around 85)

Temps for sub adults / adults (18 months +)
Basking: 100
Cool side: Closer to 80 (between 80 and 85)

Night time temps can drop to 65 without extra heat

Also what is the best substrate to use for them. I know sand is a no for most, I don't even use it for my geckos as I know it isn't safe for them to ingest
and I know the same to be true for beardies. Would reptile carpet be best for them?
Youre correct about the sand, i do not recommend it at all

Good substrates while you decide for sure are:
Paper towels or newspaper. Cheap and easy to replace
Good long term substrates are:
Non adhesive shelf liner
Reptile carpet (Buy enough so you have at least, but preferably 3 pieces that fit) Once they poop you have to wash it and will need the others to put in the tank while you do so and while it dries.
Textured ceramic tiles (My recommendation and personal substrate as well)

Thanks for any advice and information.​

Here is a link to ALL substrates, the pros and cons to all and recommendation ratings. A good read so you can make a good well informed choice

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/my-experiences-with-different-substrates.90

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and go to beautifuldragons.com they will help with a lot of your questions

Think the OP joined to get advise from diff people, yes Beautifull dragons is great for medical supplies and nutrition info but cant really comment on other husbandry issues

Jenn_Tigercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Think the OP joined to get advise from diff people, yes Beautifull dragons is great for medical supplies and nutrition info but cant really comment on other husbandry issues

Yep that is why I joined wanted to get different husbandry information on keeping them and what is best environment wise for them.

Reactions: P

Latest posts