• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi Everyone!

JakeTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey my name is Shane, I just adopted a beardie his name is Jake. Previous owner said he's about 4. I have lots of questions about stuff that I haven't found a satisfactory answer for in my research. He's about 18in and his enclosure is 6ft in length. He's been basking and he ate today. Today is the first full day I've had him. Though he's been hiding behind his basking rock. I made him a box with some good sand I found on Amazon, should this box be on the cool side of his tank or would he like it in the heated side?? Anyway thanks all!

Attachments

• 31062.jpeg
    31062.jpeg
    593.5 KB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey my name is Shane, I just adopted a beardie his name is Jake. Previous owner said he's about 4. I have lots of questions about stuff that I haven't found a satisfactory answer for in my research. He's about 18in and his enclosure is 6ft in length. He's been basking and he ate today. Today is the first full day I've had him. Though he's been hiding behind his basking rock. I made him a box with some good sand I found on Amazon, should this box be on the cool side of his tank or would he like it in the heated side?? Anyway thanks all!
The most important thing in the tank is surface basking temps and his uvb- No coils please-- surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- I would get 3 for the length of the tank - uvb a 36 long tube fixture-- the tank looks pretty narrow- I can recommend 3 good uvb's if you need links etc- please invest in a digital probe hygrometer as well - exo Terra sells them - not a combo one you want a separate one - the dig box can be on the cool side of the tank - your tile in the tank has texture? You don't want him on something that he's going to slip- some texture will keep.his nails down

JakeTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
The most important thing in the tank is surface basking temps and his uvb- No coils please-- surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- I would get 3 for the length of the tank - uvb a 36 long tube fixture-- the tank looks pretty narrow- I can recommend 3 good uvb's if you need links etc- please invest in a digital probe hygrometer as well - exo Terra sells them - not a combo one you want a separate one - the dig box can be on the cool side of the tank - your tile in the tank has texture? You don't want him on something that he's going to slip- some texture will keep.his nails down
I can probably guess why the combo therms aren't great. That is what I have for him right now, I will invest in separate terms or temp and humidity. The tile is smooth, previous owner had it in there so I just kept it so his vivarium was familiar to him. I do not have coil bulbs, I read somewhere they can explode and don't emit UVB very long. Idk how accurate that is but I stayed away from getting any.
I do also have extra substrate I can put down instead of the tile.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
W
I can probably guess why the combo therms aren't great. That is what I have for him right now, I will invest in separate terms or temp and humidity. The tile is smooth, previous owner had it in there so I just kept it so his vivarium was familiar to him. I do not have coil bulbs, I read somewhere they can explode and don't emit UVB very long. Idk how accurate that is but I stayed away from getting any.
I do also have extra substrate I can put down instead of the tile.
What is the brand and bulb of the uvb ? Where is it? The distance and placement is crucial- what is the other substrate

JakeTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
W

What is the brand and bulb of the uvb ? Where is it? The distance and placement is crucial- what is the other substrate
I'm not sure what brand the substrate he came with was but I'm thinking of doing his whole vivarium with the sand I got.
The bulbs are about 10 in away from his basking area.

Attachments

• 30920.jpeg
    30920.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 30932.jpeg
    30932.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 30976.jpeg
    30976.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 31009.png
    31009.png
    764.3 KB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not sure what brand the substrate he came with was but I'm thinking of doing his whole vivarium with the sand I got.
The bulbs are about 10 in away from his basking area.
You only need the che if tank is falling below 65 at night-- I would advise not using sand- too much risk for impaction and it's not very sanitary - zen habitats makes a mat for the 4x2x2 tanks -- please get the digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate for getting surface basking temps--

JakeTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
You only need the che if tank is falling below 65 at night-- I would advise not using sand- too much risk for impaction and it's not very sanitary - zen habitats makes a mat for the 4x2x2 tanks -- please get the digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate for getting surface basking temps--
I will post a pic of the therms I have when I get a chance. I'll follow what I've been reading and just give him a box with sand in it so he can burrow or dig from time to time. I read they like doing that. His tank shouldn't get that low, I'm trying to keep my house at a certain temp. I live in Wyoming so it starts getting cold around this time. Previous owner said he bromates so I'm expecting him to start sleeping more soon. I also have a general check up scheduled for him next week.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will post a pic of the therms I have when I get a chance. I'll follow what I've been reading and just give him a box with sand in it so he can burrow or dig from time to time. I read they like doing that. His tank shouldn't get that low, I'm trying to keep my house at a certain temp. I live in Wyoming so it starts getting cold around this time. Previous owner said he bromates so I'm expecting him to start sleeping more soon. I also have a general check up scheduled for him next week.
Ok NO enemas at the vet if they want a fecal take one in -- the tank usually will drop to house temps - get a weight on him so you can keep track of it - you need to keep him hydrated during brumation - take him out every 2-3 weeks and offer water and get a weight - weigh in grams please and make sure he has a big enough hide to brumate in -

JakeTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok NO enemas at the vet if they want a fecal take one in -- the tank usually will drop to house temps - get a weight on him so you can keep track of it - you need to keep him hydrated during brumation - take him out every 2-3 weeks and offer water and get a weight - weigh in grams please and make sure he has a big enough hide to brumate in -
That's his sand box for right now, I did cut the openings bigger than they are in the pic though, he wasn't sure he could get out. It's not very deep, only a couple inches really. Is there a better recommendation maybe? I'm not sure the box is gonna work out like I thought. Also his vivarium is about 18 in (45cm) wide. Also if I freeze his fecal will that be ok before the vet or should I preserve it in another way? if he poops before his vet appointment.

Attachments

• 31091.jpeg
    31091.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's his sand box for right now, I did cut the openings bigger than they are in the pic though, he wasn't sure he could get out. It's not very deep, only a couple inches really. Is there a better recommendation maybe? I'm not sure the box is gonna work out like I thought. Also his vivarium is about 18 in (45cm) wide. Also if I freeze his fecal will that be ok before the vet or should I preserve it in another way? if he poops before his vet appointment.
I would add more - so he can bury himself --- No freezing of the poop - vets like a 24 hr sample put it in a zip lock bag and put in the fridge -

JakeTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would add more - so he can bury himself --- No freezing of the poop - vets like a 24 hr sample put it in a zip lock bag and put in the fridge -
Sounds good. I wasn't sure if he'd be able to bury himself with that amount. I'll have to get another bag and a bigger box. I will keep that in mind when I take him to the vet next week. Thank you for all the advice!

JakeTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could you also send me a link for thermometers you recommend? Please and thank you
Sounds good. I wasn't sure if he'd be able to bury himself with that amount. I'll have to get another bag and a bigger box. I will keep that in mind when I take him to the vet next week. Thank you for all the advice!

Latest posts