• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi all Newbie BD owner here

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
The worrying never stops! My oldest is 4 and I worry about her more now than I did when she was a baby!
Haha just with him I keep saying him could be a her not sure yet too small haha. But yea because he/she is so small I just want him or her to be well and healthy. I am worried ab9ut impaction but just hoping he has had a poop today I feel bad because I have to leave him for work haha. Would it be safe to use puppy pads or something to cover the sand until he is bigger specially with the Temps do the want then catching fire.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Haha just with him I keep saying him could be a her not sure yet too small haha. But yea because he/she is so small I just want him or her to be well and healthy. I am worried ab9ut impaction but just hoping he has had a poop today I feel bad because I have to leave him for work haha. Would it be safe to use puppy pads or something to cover the sand until he is bigger specially with the Temps do the want then catching fire.

You could cover the sand with puppy pads or paper towel or repti carpet, it would just be easier to take it out and use a different substrate.

I hate leaving mine when I go to work. They always seem the most alert and active in the mornings when I am running around trying to get ready to leave. I just realized as I am typing, that they are probably picking up on my energy and they are getting excited thinking we are going somewhere. I have wifi cameras set up on two of my tanks so while I'm at work, if I'm having a bad day I can peek in and see what they are doing, it's usually nothing. One of the cameras has a microphone where I can actually talk to them. I have it set up on Dexter (we thought she was a boy when we got her and we kept the name), I like when I talk to her and she gives the camera the stink eye LOL!

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
You could cover the sand with puppy pads or paper towel or repti carpet, it would just be easier to take it out and use a different substrate.

I hate leaving mine when I go to work. They always seem the most alert and active in the mornings when I am running around trying to get ready to leave. I just realized as I am typing, that they are probably picking up on my energy and they are getting excited thinking we are going somewhere. I have wifi cameras set up on two of my tanks so while I'm at work, if I'm having a bad day I can peek in and see what they are doing, it's usually nothing. One of the cameras has a microphone where I can actually talk to them. I have it set up on Dexter (we thought she was a boy when we got her and we kept the name), I like when I talk to her and she gives the camera the stink eye LOL!
Just ordered some carpet for peace of mind don't want to risk impaction. And that is a brilliant idea think I might have to invest in a camera when I get paid what camera do you use. I hate it because I only ever see him/her when I get back for a couple of hours then lights go out :( haha

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
I use D-link day/night cameras they just link up to my wifi and there is an app for your phone.
I will look into them thanks for all your help patsy. I'm proper worried though because I work from 8-30 and never usually get home till 6 and his lights go off at 7-30 I feed him when I get up although he doesn't seem to eat much as he hasn't woke up properly. But he usually has a decent amount but this morning he wasn't interested then I feed him again around 6-6:30 and he eats a lot then but I feel he doesnt have enough time to digest. I feel I have my times set wrong :/

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I put all of my dragons on a 14/10 light cycle. Their lights go on at 6am and gives them a good hour of warming up before breakfast. The lights go off at 8pm so that when I get home I can feed them or bathe them or just visit with them, and still give them a few hours to bask before lights out.

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
I put all of my dragons on a 14/10 light cycle. Their lights go on at 6am and gives them a good hour of warming up before breakfast. The lights go off at 8pm so that when I get home I can feed them or bathe them or just visit with them, and still give them a few hours to bask before lights out.
I think I will change mine to that when I get in thank ever so much for your advice. Can't wait to see the little guy haha. Would very it okay to set the basking light to come on at 6 and then turn his UV on at 7 when I wake up?

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
Also do you have your basking temp set at 40 throughout the whole day ?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I bathe my 2 about every 3-4 days as that's where mine poop as they refuse to go while in their tanks. While in there I encourage them to see if they want any water or give slurries while there as it's easy clean up.
Depending on your little one he might be a bit impacted or just doesn't go often.. But as babies they eat enough to need to go pretty regularly.. you can try 100% pure pumpkin puree (just make sure it's just pumpkin no sugars) Or puree squash..
while in the bath you can do gentle belly massages including vent area that may help move things along.

Latest posts