• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi again!

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi again all - I only posted to introduce myself this morning!

I really am thinking I have some work ahead of me. After reading I don't think Buddy is eating anywhere near enough. Yesterday he only had approx 20 mealworms and hasn't eaten the locust I put in the enclosure :( He also won't eat crickets and greens. He doesn't seem to poop much although yesterday he did a massive pile on my son's carpet lol! I am going to bath him this afternoon. He is also in a wooden viv with glass doors - approx 3ft long, not very wide and I don't think tall enough - I took it in good faith when they said that this was big enough :mad: I also have black sand on the ground together with a heat mat (which I have since read that maybe he doesn't need??). He has a UV light (suitable for aquariums and reptiles) that runs the length of the viv and a 60 watt basking bulb at one end with a rock sort of under it. There is some plastic plant for decoration that came with the set up (all of the above was included in the set up). They advised not to put too much in at once and add gradually. I have since added the rock.

I am now reading that sand is not that great! Where can you get the green 'carpet' looking stuff from? I am also off to buy a thermometer this afternoon and search for some silk worms?? I really am quite annoyed at the shop that is supposedly a reputable reptile place. I was told they are extremely low maintenance and very hardy. I am now panicking that harm will come to him due to being ill informed and not having everything he needs. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that he is not as low maintenance as I first believed - I just want to do right by him and have him happy. Unfortunately tho I cannot replace his viv at the moment as it cost a lot of money getting that one! However, over the next couple of months I will.

Thank god for this site!

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi, im a resent noobie...so the only input i will give is to that I know :)

Mealworms are a no. no they have a hard shell that makes it hard to digest and could impact the little one.
Sand also a no, no but I see you've begun to read on that
How old is he? (might be the his ago that he's not too interested in veggies)...there are tricks that SOMETIMES work.
Silkworms...where are you located?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With the mention of locusts (grasshoppers to us), I'm assuming England.

Don't fret too much, jbab. At least you found us! ;)

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the green carpet, either. Might be a good idea to just switch over to paper towels for now. Cheap and easy to replace/clean up.

I agree with JustaV on the mealworms. Not a good food item for bearded dragons. Too much chitin in their exoskeleton.

How old is your beardie and how long have you had him?

What kind of thermometer are you getting?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to agree with Craiger and JustaV. As far as the not eating veggies, this is prob b/c of his age. Little ones don't seem to like them but I did trick mine into eating them by mixing in Kiwi. She could not resist the sweet flavor of the kiwi. I then worked the kiwi out and now she eats her veggies everyday. It took about 2 months to get here. If you have not had the little one for too long I would not worry about the small amount of eating. Babies can take a while to adjust to a new home. How long have you had him?

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you all.

Craiger - I have two stick on ones - one at each end but I also bought a digital one that is going in today. I will switch to paper towels and keep trying to get him to eat - wont even eat wax worms as a treat :-\

Thanks again

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is still relocation stress, Jackie. Once you get everything set in his enclosure, give him a couple of weeks to settle in. Then you should see a massive change in his appetite.
hope this helps.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am now reading that sand is not that great! Where can you get the green 'carpet' looking stuff from?

I know the AstroTurf / green carpet is OK for beardies, BUT talking from my own personal experience It can become a hassle.
I got my BD with the complete cage too, also had the green carpet in. But then my beardie got parasites which = dhiarrea. And I had to take the carpet out each day to wash and sterilize.

So after 3 days, I got tiles, haven't looked back since. They ere GR8, really easy to clean and disinfect.

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Bit of a daft question but what type of ceramic tiles - just normal ones from a DIY/carpet type of place that go in kitchens and bathrooms???

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Be sure the tile is textured so he can get footing. I looked like a fool walking around the DIY store touching every tile. I got some strange looks and my daughter got in on the action. She would touch a tile and say, ahhhh, too smooth, I like this one! it was so cute.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
Be sure the tile is textured so he can get footing. I looked like a fool walking around the DIY store touching every tile. I got some strange looks and my daughter got in on the action. She would touch a tile and say, ahhhh, too smooth, I like this one! it was so cute.

LOL! That IS cute.

Latest posts