• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hey

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
hey guys i just have two questions one is my dragon is 3 months old and she eats about 12 small crickets every meal is that ok or should i start getting medium ones.. and two I've noticed she just lays down in the corner of her tank just looking at her reflection for hrs.. is it because i just put her in a 40 breeder and also im using a repti halogen 50 watt is that enough for heat ???

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Chubbyb....the best way to figure out how many crickets she needs is to feed her as many as she will eat in 10-15 minutes...she will let you know when she is full cause she will stop eating and probly go bask...any crickets remainng after that amount of time should be removed along with any dead ones.
As to her staring at her reflection that is normal when a dragon sees its reflection and sometimes they will actually get agressive and try to get at the other dragon they see in their territory. Its one of the drawbacks to housing them in a glass enclosure. You can help by using a background to.break up the reflection. We use desert scene background found at any petshop and wrap it around the back and both sides of the tanks so that the front is all that is open. It does help but occassionally our Mungi will still catch a glympse of himself and get bowed up..lol.
You also need to remeber that you just changed her over to a new enclisure and it will take her some time to adjust...be patient...my experience with most reptiles has taught me that most are very sensitive to even the slightest change in their habitat.
As to the lighting I use a ReptiSun 10.0 18" florescent on top of the screen and a household 75 watt halogen flood light suspended about 4-6 inches above the screen in a Mini Deep Dome for basking...Mungi is currently in a 40 gallon breeder tank...this combo give a consistent 102-107 basking temp and a cool side temp of 80-82 daytime. We also have a 10 watt light over the cool side but it is mainly just ambient light because we run the live streaming webcam on him during the day and it helps the video. That light is florescent and doesnt give off heat.
At night all lights are off.
Your setup may have to be a little different because part of it will depend on what you house temps are. For instance you may need to lower or raise the basking light. I built a cheap light rack out of pvc and a couple of wooden dowel rods...cost about 10 bucks and allows me to raise and lower lights as needed..have these on all of our tank enclosures and they work well. Also makes it nice when cleaning or feeding to just lift the lights out of the way...if you like I can snap a pic of the light rack when I get home and post it if you would like to build a similar rig...you dont even have to glue the fittings;)
Hope this helps answer your questions.
Have a great day!

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
Okay that answered my question on why she attacks ans starts like slapping the.glass haha. I called the breeder and he said to.wait until shes about 10" before I put her in the 40. right now.she's like 5 or 6.. it gives me time to start saving money to get good lights and things.. thank you sooo much btw what's the link to your stream?? I would love too see it

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@ChubbyB...No.prob..we are all here to help any way we can;)

Mungi's Live Stream WebCam is at

http://mungisworld.zapto.org

It's free and runs every day from 9a-9p eastern.
He's very aware of the cam and knows when someone logs in so dont be surprised if he comes over and looks straight back at you...he does that a lot..lol;)

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)

Latest posts