• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey

Handon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone,

Just got my bearded dragon yesterday, And I love her, she is so funny, Ill soon post up a picture of her in her viv, but I was hoping someone can help me with a few questions I have, I leave here UV light and heat light on for 12/14 hours a day but im slightly confused as to what i do at night, as here in England it gets a bit cold in the house at night, im not sure what tempratures the viv should be in the night to allow her to have a comfy sleep, one other question is, at the moment her viv has a base of sand for her to walk on, however im not happy with using it in the long run after some of the bad things i have heard about it, so im looking at getting some tiles for the floor is this a good idea as she has spent the first 18 months of her life on sand, thanks

Tom

Handon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im also currently working on the temperatures, the local pet shop put the probe for the thermostat in the middle of the viv, but i have also herd on the web that it should be over the cool end, in order to get the right temperatures in the viv, hope you guys can help :) thank you

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
HI Handon

Let's see if I can help:

First off , the only time you have to worry about night time temps is if the ambient temp in your house drops below 65f or 18C. If the hosue temps stays above this don't use any light or heat at night. If it does drop below 65F then you should look at a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) and hook it up to a thermostat. BD's need to have the drop in temp to properly rest. they also need darkness, even red or blue light will disturb them while they sleep.

For your viv temps you need to get a digital thermometer or heat gun. The analog dial thermometers can be off as much as 20F. You need to measure temps in both the basking area (should be 100F - 110F for adults and 110F-120F for sub-adults) and the ambient temp on the cool side (should be around 85F).

Hope this helps.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Tom,

WelcomeToTheForums.jpg

Handon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the advice Fliehigh, last night I kept checking the temperatures and it did drop bellow 65f and in the winter it will defiantly drop below this, so im going to get her one of these CHE and plug it in at night so she can have a good sleep :), thanks for the welcomes guys :D

Latest posts