• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey I'm new and am looking for some tips.

Skinger15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I'm thinking of buying a bearded dragon and just need a little help.
1. Best age to buy for a starter?
2. Build cage or buy it?
3. Is tile ok for all ages?
4. Hide or no hide?
5. Best UVB light?
6. Will a flood light from Home Hardware work for the basking light?
7. I was planning on making the basking spot out of polystyrene, grout and sealer. Will this work?

Thanks

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!

1. For my first beardie I went with one about 3 months. I feel the little ones are too fragile, but thats just my opinion.

2. Bare minimum is a 40 gallon breeder tank for an adult dragon. My Dillinger started off in a 40 gallon and Im in the process of building him a custom terrarium.

3. Ceramic tile can be a little too cold for little ones. Ceramic does hold heat decent but, it can be a little cold for the tiny fellas. Personally, I use tile, but then again, I lay tile as a side job LOL

4. Some dragons use hides, some dont. I think one of our members mentioned their dragon "Yaddle" using her hide during brumation.

5. I use the Reptisun 5.0 right on top of his basking area and I also have a 36'' UVB light along the length of the tank.

6. I'm not 100% if a flood light will work, but I would NOT use one. I use some of the Sunglo bulbs. They've never given me any trouble and they keep my temps pretty regular.

7. I'm guessing you got this idea from LizardLandscapes? From personal experience, they're great! they hold heat pretty well, and if you build them right, they're pretty sturdy. As far as a sealer, do NOT use grout sealer unless it is water based. Your best bet will be Mod Podge Matte Sealer. Any other questions you have I'll be glad to answer.

Skinger15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks a lot for all the information. And yes I did get the idea from lizard landscapes. They look really realistic and you can make pretty much whatever you want.

Skinger15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes please. I'm thinking of building a 4'x2'x2 cage. I've read that if the cage is to big the beardie could feel overwhelmed or will be unable to find his food. Would this be to large for a 3-8 month old beardie?

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL Funny you should say those dimension, those are the exact dimensions Im building right now. As far as that being overwhelming, it can be, but I Dillinger never had any trouble finding his, but then again, he's been a pig from day one.

Gettinthere.jpg

That is how mine is coming along.

My suggestion is go with something that size if thats what you want, if it proves to be a problem with a little one, then make some sort of tank divider.

Also, an 8 month old beardie will not be small, my Dillinger is 19'' and he is 7 months tops.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thats a pretty cool design, I'm building mine the way I am to match the current furniture in my den area. As far as the price for that, thats amazing, I WISH mine would have cost that little LOL Gimme a minute and I'll get you a picture of my fake rock.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Here is a pic that shows you one of the fake rocks I've built, as well as the tile job he got.

Dillingerrock.jpg

Dillinger is in shed right now so >.< He looks rough...Just one little patch left on his back >.<

Skinger15

Bearded Dragon Egg
That looks really good. I'm thinking of something a little bigger so I can make a little cave underneath.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I didn't wanna make it too tall, I didnt want him too close to his lights. I thought of making him something bigger for his new place, but it is alotttttt of work, and takes alotttttt of patience. Go with a design thats going to be sturdy. When he shows you on his videos, making columns out of like 8 pieces stacks on top of one another, and elaborate stair cases, they're not sturdy at all even after 5-6 coats or grout.

Skinger15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh well that probably just saved me a lot of trouble. Lol. In one video there's an Aztec temple design and I'm kinda thinking of something like that.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea, thats where I kinda got the inspiration for mine. Word of advice, make all the levels SOLID...Do NOT cut out the centers, makes it ALOT more stable, and use toothpicks as well as liquid nails to hold it together, but of course, make sure the tooth picks are buried real good.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
No problem! Any questions you have I'll be glad to answer. There are alot of very helpful people on this forum. You sound just like me when I was getting my first one LOL You want EVERYTHING JUST right. LOL

Latest posts