• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey, I'm Kyle, this is Momo and we need HELP PLEASE!

Is your typical nightclub blacklight good enough to provide a beardie with the required amount of UV

• YES, SHE'LL BE FINE!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HELL NO, IDIOT!

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Kyle F

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, at the start of June. my sisters friend was going to be going out of town with her boyfriend and asked sis to watch Momo. My sis said yes and Stephanie came and dropped off the tank, accessories, lights, etc.... but then something strange happened...she told my sister she would be giving her a $25 gift card to go buy a UV light, because hers broke. Now, I never knew this until A COUPLE DAYS AGO, when I was doing some serious research on Momo. You see, I was never planning on having her this long, and I ASSUMED (BIG mistake) that she had everything she needed Uh....NO! Not only did the girl, Stephanie, not give my sister money for food. She didn't even give her money for the UV light :/ Jerk!

So, I offered to take care of Momo and treat her to the best of my abilities. So far, I have:

• Darkling beetles (hopefully) mating, in a homemade meal worm farm
  • A TEMPORARY black light (hopefully) providing the Ol' girl with her necessary supplement of UV rays
  • Loved her and fed her every other day which is, a big bowl of Kale, topped with about 10 dried meal worms along with fruit, which is usually bananas but sometimes apples. She is in really good hands :)

But.....

I need your help, though, guys. I did some searching online, but could not find an answer tho this question.

Okay, my question is: Does your typical black light provide enough UV for a beardie? (you know, the kind they sell in the mall, that's in night clubs, etc etc.) Because, right now, I have an 18" blacklight hanging inside her tank about 10"-11" inches above the sand and I am HOPING that she is finally getting enough UV rays.

What do you guys think? Is she ok for now, until we get some cash together to get her a real UV blacklight? Or is this actually a REAL UV BLACKLIGHT?

Thanks for reading, Mo and I appreciate your patronage ;D

Attachments

• 20180821_134550.jpg
    20180821_134550.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22

Bigdog999

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don’t believe that your average black light provides the type and strength of us she needs

Also I’m not sure about using dried mealworms. Mealworms are already high in chitin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindsey-Star Duhe

Bearded Dragon Egg
Blacklights should never be used. Neither should red ones. Colored lights will hurt her eyes.
Only a UVB tube such as the Reptisun or Acadia should be used OR a Mercury Vapor Bulb. These are the only 2 things that can provide accurate UVB.

Mealworms and non-live food (freeze dried or pellets) are both not good.

Live food options: crickets, dubia roaches, phoenix worms (black soldier fly larvae), superworms, hornworms, waxworms, silkworms; however super and wax are best left as treats. Dark leafy greens (collard, mustard, turnip, dandelion) are a daily requirement.

It’s unfortunate your sister’s friend isn’t caring for her dragon properly, but luckily you took the initiative to research on your own.

Adrian Davis

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, at the start of June. my sisters friend was going to be going out of town with her boyfriend and asked sis to watch Momo. My sis said yes and Stephanie came and dropped off the tank, accessories, lights, etc.... but then something strange happened...she told my sister she would be giving her a $25 gift card to go buy a UV light, because hers broke. Now, I never knew this until A COUPLE DAYS AGO, when I was doing some serious research on Momo. You see, I was never planning on having her this long, and I ASSUMED (BIG mistake) that she had everything she needed Uh....NO! Not only did the girl, Stephanie, not give my sister money for food. She didn't even give her money for the UV light :/ Jerk!

So, I offered to take care of Momo and treat her to the best of my abilities. So far, I have:

• Darkling beetles (hopefully) mating, in a homemade meal worm farm
  • A TEMPORARY black light (hopefully) providing the Ol' girl with her necessary supplement of UV rays
  • Loved her and fed her every other day which is, a big bowl of Kale, topped with about 10 dried meal worms along with fruit, which is usually bananas but sometimes apples. She is in really good hands :)

But.....

I need your help, though, guys. I did some searching online, but could not find an answer tho this question.

Okay, my question is: Does your typical black light provide enough UV for a beardie? (you know, the kind they sell in the mall, that's in night clubs, etc etc.) Because, right now, I have an 18" blacklight hanging inside her tank about 10"-11" inches above the sand and I am HOPING that she is finally getting enough UV rays.

What do you guys think? Is she ok for now, until we get some cash together to get her a real UV blacklight? Or is this actually a REAL UV BLACKLIGHT?

Thanks for reading, Mo and I appreciate your patronage ;D

Get a clear bulb 100W for 40 gallon tank and up, 60-75 W if below 40 gallons and take the temperature of the basking spot. Make sure that you have the spot close enough to get the benefits of the heat but not too close for the dragon to get burned. This is done to provide enough heat which will help with digesting their food and the bright light is important to mimic the day cycle.

The beardie needs UVA and UVB.

The UVB is to prevent metabolic bone disease. You would have to purchase a Reptisun light. For a temporary fix if it is warm enough take the dragon outside to get some natural sunlight, but don't sit them there unattended or in front ot the window or they could possibly die from too much sun.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Under my comment are some links to general care and lighting. Please take a look at them. Black lights do not provide UVB and like was already said, all colored lights hurt their eyes. You need a tube style UVB bulb and some sort of white basking bulb to provide heat. Get a temp gun to check temperatures. Just kale is a bad idea because kale binds to calcium. Mix up your greens, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens are all great. Also, mealworms are bad, they have a hard shell that can be difficult to digest. Superworms are better than meal worms, however they are kinda fatty so not a good every day feeder. Dubia roaches are good, BSFL, silkworms are some good options.

The links under my comment go into further explanation to caring for the dragon.

Latest posts