• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey! I need Help!!

h2simms

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Which is better, excavator clay or calci sand?

Please vote!!! I need help!!! ;) 8)

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Neither.

Calci sand is crap. The theory behind it is if the dragon eats it, it won't get impacted. If a dragon gets impacted by regular playsand, then its environment, to which it is provided, sucks and is the real cause of impaction. Primarily insufficient basking temps and dehydration.

Excavator clay is just as useless to the dragon as tile. The theory behind it is that the keeper can make a burrow for the dragon. Dragons are perfectly capable of making their own burrows. Burrows have uses other than security. The dry burrow that excavator clay provides only security. Nesting, brumation, hydration, shedding are other things that true burrows provide.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We always want to take into consideration the natural habitat, but as a domesticated pet, it is nearly impossible to replicate 100%. So, we also have to consider things that enable us some conveniences (ease of cleaning) in order to ensure a happy, clean and safe home for our beloved bearded dragons.

Solutions differ between folks. As long as we our beardie's best interest at heart, several alternatives work.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Textured tile is ok as a floor. It keeps nails trim without cutting. For me the downside was I did not grout or seal the tile so once a week I was pulling up the tile and cleaning the bottom of the cages. I now use non adhesive shelf liner and it works fine. Every dragon is different and some things work better for them and you than others. There is no one size fits all answer when it comes to substrate.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I liked tile. I can see what Tom is saying. Bernie usually only pooped in his bath. I did lay paper towels under the tiles. This helped when Bernie did go in his viv. Clean the tile, and replace the papertowels.

It was cleaner all around for me.

robbed18

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Erm, why is calcium sand crap, its 100% edible and is pure calcium, i have mine on it at the moment, he is about 5 months old now and has been on it since the start and he is absolutely healthy and has had no problems what so ever, so in my personal opinion i would use it.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I too have used calcium sand in the past. I switched to tile and everyone was much happier.

Calcium sand can harbor bacteria if not replaced regularly and poo is not cleaned up quickly. It is also known to impact bearded dragons. We used to sift it twice before putting it in Bernie's viv. You would be amazed at the large pieces of glass we would pull out.

Sand is doable if properly cared for.

One of our members found this interesting article written September 2009 regarding calcium sand:
http://www.thereptileking.com/knowledgemanager/questions.php?questionid=427

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they're very right about the calcium sand. Aside from the impaction concerns, calcium carbonate consumption can lead to hypercalcemia. which occurs when there is too much calcium in the bloodstream. As well as several other medical conditions.

In reptiles, it's not so much what you see, as a young or new hobbyist, but what you don't see that matters so much.

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I prefer ceramic Tile it is much easier to take care of, i was using a sand like substrate and it was so hard to keep up with and held smells

Latest posts