• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hey guys

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a beardie I just have a couple of questions about them. 1. I live in
Florida and it gets really hot where I live and especially in my room it gets about 90 degrees, So my question is what kind of lights should i get for it with out cooking my beardie alive. Another question is how big of a tank should i get. 3. What should i get in the tank rocks branches ect...4. Can I get a used tank if so what should i use to clean it with out hurting the lizard... I've never owned a reptile before and I'm very excited to buy a beardie if you guys have any tips or anything please share thenm with me thank you.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I am no expert, but I have done lots of research and have read a bunch of the answers from more experienced owners to this type of question on this forum.
Depends on what size you are going to start with. An adult beardie needs at least a 40 gal...55 is better. Terrarium not aquarium...it needs to be wider that deep...they need lots of space to move and run and turn around and they can get quite long. If you start with a large tank and get a baby beardie, just section off like half of it to use now...then after it is almost a year old it will need the whole thing. The smallest you should start with is a 20 gal. It is okay for babies and juvies.
Since you live where it is that hot, I would say use the florescent uvb lighting (which is vital to their health) and get a separate basking lamp....get a lamp stand so you can raise or lower the basking lamp to make sure it doesn't get too hot. A light at night disturbs them so don't bother. If you need heat at night get a ceramic heat emitter and the proper fixture for it bc they are especially hot...you might not even need this.
They have a special diet, so please do your research. Lots of do's and don'ts.
I don't know how much you know already, but we can never learn too much...do lots of research. I purchased a book my Animal Plant about the Bearded Dragon and my reptile vet said it was a very good book.
Be careful about what the pet store personnel tell you...remember they are usually focused on sales, not neccesarily what you or your beardie actually need.
The substrate (the bottom) of the tank is very important....some things (even sold at the pet stores 'good for bearded dragons' are actually very very bad and seriously hazardous!
I suggest you get everything needed and learn much before you get the dragon. I will tell you, owning a bearded dragon is not an inexpensive pet to have...it can get quite costly.
Good luck and I'm sure other members here on the forum will give you great advice.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome!

I'm from Florida as well and can understand trying to regulate the temps in the summer. Try to look for a bulb that is low on wattage, that helps a lot. Get a digital to help you check your temps so that way you can regulate them. I also find that aiming the heat lamp in a tilted way, using the clamp it comes with, helps a lot too.

Both of my girls each have their own 40 gal breeder tank. That is the minimum size for beardies that is recommended. But if you can give them a bigger one then that would be great. The bigger the better :)

Don't use a loose partical substrate like sand or small rocks. Use a non-adhesive shelf liner, tile or paper towl. Once beardies get big they will need more floor space than a lot of branches in their viv. They aren't big climbers like other lizards are. But a raised basking spot is good to have like hammocks, wide stones, or those half log tunnels for beardies to lay on.

For cleaning some people use a bleach to water ratio, I can't think of how much at the moment :rolleyes: Some pet stores sell cleaning sprays that are said to be reptile safe, but I've never used it before.

Beardies are great beginner reptile pets! You will love your new little guy/girl. Are you going to get a baby, juvie or adult? Where are you going to buy it from? I highly recommend buying from a breeder. And be very cautious of what any pet store might tell you because most employees aren't very knowledgeable with reptiles, lol.

Please let us know if you have any other questions that you might have :cool:

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, Chubby & Welcome to the Forum. I live in Florida also & the weather doesn't affect my enclosures temps. With it being 90 degrees in your home, lower watt bulbs are recommended for the basking area. When starting out, it's better to spend the extra cash & get a 40 gallon enclosure. Rocks & branches are a good idea, stones hold heat after lights go out & branches are good for stretching out, having something to climb on & getting a little exercise. If you are able to find a used enclosure that is suitable to house your dragon, definitely clean & sterilize with a bleach solution. Any stones or branches found outside should be sterilized also. Getting set up properly can be overwhelming to new owners, many pet stores will recommend products that aren't needed & that can be hazardous to your new pet. Any other questions you may have, feel free to ask away, there are many knowledgeable & passionate people ready to help.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3.jpg

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a beardie I just have a couple of questions about them. 1. I live in
Florida and it gets really hot where I live and especially in my room it gets about 90 degrees, So my question is what kind of lights should i get for it with out cooking my beardie alive. Another question is how big of a tank should i get. 3. What should i get in the tank rocks branches ect...4. Can I get a used tank if so what should i use to clean it with out hurting the lizard... I've never owned a reptile before and I'm very excited to buy a beardie if you guys have any tips or anything please share thenm with me thank you.
If you stick branches and rocks in the tank from outside, make sure you boil it to get rid of the mites that live in the moss on the oak out there, they manage to get everywhere. We ended up with mites in one of our tanks. They love rocks and branches in their tanks. You can also use a mixture of water and vinegar to clean the tank.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I am no expert, but I have done lots of research and have read a bunch of the answers from more experienced owners to this type of question on this forum.
An adult beardie needs at least a 40 gal...55 is better. Terrarium not aquarium...it needs to be wider that deep...they need lots of space to move and run and turn around and they can get quite long.
A 40 gal breeder aquarium gives more width than height and would work.

Latest posts