• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey guys, Just got my FIRST Beardie.

Troy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I got a 3year old male, Who is VERY VERY SUPER tame!!! I am in love with him but I haven't gotten him yet, A Friend went and got it for me because the people who had him had him in a 10 gallon tank... I OVER paid for him just to get him outta there... 130$ for a normal ( I'm guessing ).... Will be getting him on the 1st!
430611_157716077674959_100003097037061_231130_2096388449_n.jpg

Reactions: Jp

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats, Troy! That's a sharp lookin' bearded dragon! I'm sure you'll be able to give him a much, much better home especially now that you've joined us! ;) :)

Troy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey Guys, So yes I found out it was in a 10 Gallon ( Losers ) they just got it a week before I got it from them. The guy that owned it before them took really good care of him and sold it to the people I got it from WHO DID NOT TAKE REALLY GOOD CARE OF HIM!!!

He is at my friends house for now and she says he HATES being in a cage, He comes running up to the cage scatching at it to get out. When she takes him out he just chills on her and DOESN'T want to go back in :-D! She said he's a big baby LOL! Very sweet and loves to be around people ( Showoff ) haha.

So Guys, I was wondering do I HAVE to have UVB because I was talking to some people who said it causes cancer so don't use it! Just use a regular home bulb for heat. But then when I read everywhere else it says DO use it that they NEED it! I'm so confused!!! Thats the last question I have because I printed out over 200+ papers on bearded dragons two nights ago and I have been READING READING READING!!! lol

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He seems so sweet.

Yes UVB is as important as the heat bulb. You need both. Both play vital roles in digestion and metabolic processes.
If you cant get a good UVB immediately , you can take him outside in the sun every day. 1 Hour of natural sunlight = 14 hours of artificial UVB exposure. Just make sure temperatures outside permit this.

There are diff UVB bulbs out there and 2 main types.

Type 1 = Coil bulbs (Look like the energy saver spirals we use in the house) They are NOT GOOD, they cause eye issues as the wavelength of UVB they emit is not correct. Dont buy these.

Type 2 = the tube or linear ones. You get them in diff lengths. Get one that spans AT LEAST 1/2 your cage length wise and PREFERABLY 3/4 of the cage. The UVB must be placed over the basking spot (Thus nxt to the heat bulb) so the heat bulbs bright light can somewhat diffuse the UVB from the dragons eyes.

The most recommended UVB is the reptisun made by zoomed. Also it must be a 10.0 bulb

Mountain Bearded Dragons

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He seems so sweet.

Yes UVB is as important as the heat bulb. You need both. Both play vital roles in digestion and metabolic processes.
If you cant get a good UVB immediately , you can take him outside in the sun every day. 1 Hour of natural sunlight = 14 hours of artificial UVB exposure. Just make sure temperatures outside permit this.

There are diff UVB bulbs out there and 2 main types.

Type 1 = Coil bulbs (Look like the energy saver spirals we use in the house) They are NOT GOOD, they cause eye issues as the wavelength of UVB they emit is not correct. Dont buy these.

Type 2 = the tube or linear ones. You get them in diff lengths. Get one that spans AT LEAST 1/2 your cage length wise and PREFERABLY 3/4 of the cage. The UVB must be placed over the basking spot (Thus nxt to the heat bulb) so the heat bulbs bright light can somewhat diffuse the UVB from the dragons eyes.

The most recommended UVB is the reptisun made by zoomed. Also it must be a 10.0 bulb
Agree so very much

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey Guys, Thanks so much for ALL the info!!!
Another Question, What about this bulb ( Mercury Vapor, UVB and HEAT Bulb ) http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...or-bulbs/-/exo-terra-125-watt-solar-glo-bulb/

I havent used them personally so i cant say if they work well or not

But ive read some people have issues with them and some dont.

They do come in very high wattages and is a 2 in 1 bulb. So the viv getting too hot may be an issue, it will depend on the vivs dimensions and makeup. They last longer apparently but are more expensive. NAd they can be mounted a bit further away from the dragon.

Hope some MVB bulb experts see this and can give you better info.
I do know the reptisun 10.0 i mentioned has had the least amount of issues reprted between all makes and types of bulbs available

Troy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I havent used them personally so i cant say if they work well or not

But ive read some people have issues with them and some dont.

They do come in very high wattages and is a 2 in 1 bulb. So the viv getting too hot may be an issue, it will depend on the vivs dimensions and makeup. They last longer apparently but are more expensive. NAd they can be mounted a bit further away from the dragon.

Hope some MVB bulb experts see this and can give you better info.
I do know the reptisun 10.0 i mentioned has had the least amount of issues reprted between all makes and types of bulbs available

Thanks for trying to help, I would have no problem getting the Repti Sun bulb it's just the fixtures for it cost sooo much money and I can't find one for the 24' bulbs.... If you could give me a link to one it would help alot... Because I can't find one. My tank is going to be like a 40Gallon or 50Gallon IDK yet, A Friend is giving it too me and I haven't seend it just listening to what she has told me.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Most people buy the fixtures at wallmart or a local hardware store. Dont know if it will help?? They arent that expensive from what i have heard.
Sorry Im not much help here but i dont live in the US so dont know about the stores and prices there

Latest posts