• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey guys, I've got a coloring question...

Blaqnbloo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hiya, I've got a brilliant female dragon that exhibits incredible oranges and yellows, and has the most brilliant beard I've seen in awhile. She is not, however, technically a sandfire because I didn't get her from sandfire ranch. I looked at sandfire ranch's sandfire morphs, and honestly, none that I can find are nearly as bright as my girl is.

So my question is, how would I label her morph? I am going to be breeding her soon, and I need to know what to call her for marketing purposes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344024045.756474.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you intend on Breeding & marketing the offspring, you should first off, become familiar with the terminology.

MORPH does not refer to color, but rather in some cases, the lack of it! Morph refers to whether a BD is a Normal, Rankin, Silkback, Leatherback, Marketed Leucistic, Hypomelanistic, Translucent, Hypotranslucent and other genetic mutations that breeders have played God with to create. Here is a thread on the subject, the first & last post are quite informative.

Morphs as I understand them

COLOR NAMES or BREEDER STOCK NAMES refer to Bloodlines created by particular well known Breeders, who breed their stock specifically for color & discover particular successful combinations to consistently produce a specific color or combination of colors. These color or breeder names are generally registered to their rightful owners.

If you do not know your particular BDs Bloodline background, you can not market it's offspring as one of them or even as a cross. What you have there is a NORMAL Morph with no knowledge of it's bloodline. So by rights, all you can market it as is, A 'Hi-Color' or 'Fancy' Orange Bearded Dragon.

Blaqnbloo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've seen tons of reputable breeders that will name their dragon completely based on a color. And they will tell you that it's not a reference to the bloodline, it's just a name for their color. I bought a "strawberry blood" that's just a light colored blood, from such a reputable source as Sandfire Ranch themselves.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, it is a Name for
their stock specifically for color & discover particular successful combinations to consistently produce a specific color or combination of colors.
and is not a Morph. And it is a reference to a particular Bloodline, bred specifically for color.
If you did actually buy a Dragon from the Sandfire Ranch themselves, it must be a really old Dragon now, as they have not been breeding or in the business of BDs for some time now, now breeds, sells Frogs & Newts, and you would know it's bloodline origins & would not be asking this question.

You asked a question, received a good answer & offered good info... If you want to join the group of backyard breeders who market under false pretenses, that is your choice, but it is false advertising & just takes away from the credibility & trust of legitimate breeders.

Blaqnbloo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I bought him from Dragon's Den, which is a branch of Sandfire. He arrived in a Sandfire Farms box.

Blaqnbloo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I understand your point, and you're right, I don't know my female's bloodline. I just figured there was something besides "high color" that I could call her.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you acquired it from 'Dragon's Den Herps', I would be interested where you received the info that they are at all affiliated with the 'Sandfire Ranch'. I can't seem to find any such affiliation & it would be good info to know if there is any fact to it?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie looks like yours as well. Orange spikes, gold head, body, some red, and tan. People who've seen Allie up close and personal tell me that she looks very large for a regular bearded dragon. They tell me she could very well be a German Giant because of how big she looks and they call her a 'monster' beardie. I suppose they haven't ever seen one like her up close and personal.

Latest posts