• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hermit crab sponges?

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
Does anyone know if the sponges for hermit crabs are okay to use for crickets. Right now I'm using potatoes and I've seen the special little water 'pillows' they make for the crickets, but they can be a lot of money. I figured the hermit crab sponges could be used more than once and they are only $2 and change each. Do you think the crickets will eat the sponge?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You did ... I moved it into the appropriate section, ;) ... The redirect is still there, until tomorrow.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am not familiar with Hermit Crabs or 'Hermit Crab Sponges', but seeing as how you asked, I'll give you my $.02 worth. After looking at what a Hermit Crab sponge is, I believe that it would be no different than any other sponge. That being that they would be difficult to keep clean, rinsing would not clean them adequately & thus provide a great place for bacteria to dwell & flourish.

But I can offer you an alternative, that I used to use & have used this quite successfully with both crickets & roaches. You can use any size container or water bowl to suit the size keeper you are using. And this will cost you virtually nothing & you can easily clean & refill.

This is what you will need ... In this example I used a small glass jar & plastic food dish that I scuffed up with a wire brush to make it easier to climb. For smaller feeder enclosures, you could use a Pill bottle & a jar lid for example & a smaller piece of Paper towel.

Waterer 001.jpg
Poke or drill 3 small holes in the jar lid as indicated by the black spots.
Waterer 002.jpg
Fold & place the Paper towel in the bowl, in this case I quartered it to have 4 layers ...
Waterer 003.jpg
Fill the jar with water, tightly put the lid on it, place the bowl & paper towel combination upside down, centered on top of the Jar lid ...
Waterer 004.jpg
Now, take this whole combination, holding everything tightly together & invert it so the Bowl is right side up & the Jar is Upside down ...
Waterer 006.jpg
The water will be sucked into the paper towel until it is saturated, then stop, & will continue to do this as the paper towel tries to dry out or as the feeders use the moisture from the paper towel.
You will easily be able to see when & if it needs refilling, the feeders will come & take the moisture from the paper towel. Once you see the Paper Towel begins to get soiled, you can easily change it & refill the water reservoir that you are using after cleaning the bowl properly. The feeders cannot drown.
A very simple hydration method, easy to clean, that costs virtually nothing & will help keep the humidity up in the feeder enclosure.
Hope this helps.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
That's a good way I can stop wasting money on crickets quencher misspelled that word thanks Germ I will try that