• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Here I am! And my new dragon too.

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey everyone!
My name is Brienna. I'm 20 years old and have never owned a reptile up to this point.
My dad used to have many of them as a teen, but my mom wouldn't allow
our household to have any reptiles/amphibians/birds while growing up.
I turned 20 this month and I decided to treat myself to a new friend now that I live on my own.

Everyone, meet Puff!

3.jpg

I think he is soo, very handsome!
He's a 4 year old SandfireX, measuring 17". I found him online.
His previous owner, a college student, unfortunately couldn't take care of him
anymore. Apparently with work and classes there was no time to give him the attention
he wants and deserves. So I gave him a nice, warm home with myself, my boyfriend, and our two cats.
The cats don't mind him at all, to be honest. They're curious, but they don't want to mess with him and his spikes ;D
He's a really picky eater. I try my best to always have a variety of foods on hand. He seems to have grown very
fond of me, and is constantly crawling all over me and perching himself on my shoulder. When someone else goes to handle him,
he'll try to run back to me. He also doesn't like going back into his terrarium after I've cuddled with him.
He usually crawls onto my head and nests in my dreadlocks. It's cute and it seems to be his favourite place, but
it's always a huge pain to get him out! Hahaha.

2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

When I pet his head, he makes this face at me.
I think he looks really happy. And super adorable too.
1.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome Lov, to the friendliest, and most open minded forum around...
Now, if you wouldn't mind.. could you let us know what you have for puff's enclosure ? Lighting, heat source.. also, the diet and supplements you are using for him ? This way we can continue a happy healthy relationship between you and Puff for many years to come ;)
Janie

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Welcome Lov, to the friendliest, and most open minded forum around...
Now, if you wouldn't mind.. could you let us know what you have for puff's enclosure ? Lighting, heat source.. also, the diet and supplements you are using for him ? This way we can continue a happy healthy relationship between you and Puff for many years to come ;)
Janie

He has a 55 gallon terrarium.
I'm pretty sure I'm using an Exo Terra Repti Glo Compact Fluorescent bulb and an Exo Terra Sun Glo Halogen Daylight Lamp. I'm thinking of changing this up in the future though. I was suggested a 3-in-1 light but I think I ought to do more research on it first.
His diet includes crickets, occasional superworms and silkworms, and a daily salad (Romaine lettuce, broccoli stems, shredded carrots, bananas, raspberries, and squash.) I was also given some commercial beardie pellets which I do add in, but he seems to not care for them.
I give him Calcium with D3 on the crickets, and I also have Herptivite multivitamins too.
Right now his substrate is sand, however I did purchase Zoo Med Excavator Clay Burrowing Substrate. We'll experiment with that and see how he likes it :)
His cage temperatures now are,
Cool side: Around 75 degrees right now, but usually perks up to about 80.
Basking side: Sitting at 95 right now, will increase to 100.
My house temperature is 70 right now.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay... You will want to replace that coil with either a Mega ray Mercury Vapor Bulb, or a ReptiSun 10.0 tube.. Now you will need a different fixture for either of those, but fortunately they are cheap and readily at hand.
Here are the links for both, Mega:
http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php

Reptisun 10.0 tube:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...bs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

Both of these are top of the line. The mega offers both heat and good UVB where as the Reptisun will need a secondary heat source ( house hold flood light ).

For a 4 year old, you can use play sand that has been sifted and rinsed. You will want to avoid any of the calci sands, as those cause blockages in the intestinal tract. Have you considered Tile ? Sealed Ceramic Tiles like slate are easy to clean, help keep nails trimmed, and looks wonderful.

Now, I want to address the enclosure itself. Instead of a 55 if you can get a 40 gal breeder tank, that will be more room for Puff to move around. The 55 is only 12" wide, where the 40 is 18"... Much more room ;)

You can also build an enclosure from hard woods, measuring 36" x 18" x 18". Most of us went larger, but the one above is the minimum needed for an adult dragon.

Now, how are you taking the temperature readings ? If through a round, dial like, those have been known to be off by as much as 20*-/+. A digi with probe ( found at walmart in housewares) or a temp gun are the most accurate on the market. You don't need to spend tons either... the Accurite ( walmart) is around 12-14 dollars, though a temp gun can run you almost $70.

I hope this helps you out..
Janie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I forgot to mention the diet. Here is a handy dandy list to help you choose foods that will benefit him the most, and the least.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Green is for daily, while Black is for treats 1-2 times a week.
Just ignore the rest ;)

Now when you say you are using the cal with D3, how many times a week are you using it? Same with the vits ?
Janie ;)

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the tips.
I'll definately get a new bulb asap. I'm worried because he hasn't been eating anything but crickets ):
And I'm going through these crickets far too quickly.
I have considered tile and I think I may go that route in the near future.
As for the tank, he does currently have room to walk around comfortably (he's small for an adult) and I just don't have the funds to upgrade it right away.

Keep in mind that I received everything but the vitamins and food from the previous owner.
As for the thermometers, They aren't digital (When I went to the petstore the cheapest was something like $70. Absolutely ridiculous)
I bought two dial-type ones and before I put them in, I tried them in different rooms and outside and they seemed to be working fine and correctly.
I'd still like to go digital. Next time I'm at Wal-Mart I'll check to see if there are any at a reasonable price

I've been using a little bit of calcium everyday
and the vitamins once a week

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay haul back on the cal only 3 times a week. Vits are on the mark.
When you are able, upgrade :) I totally understand ;) we all do.
Janie
Though if you can turn off that coil until you get in which ever other bulb, you will see a marked difference in eating.
Also, have you thought of raising your own foods ? Roaches are the Bomb, my dear ;). The best part is they look ( dubias) like large rolly pollies.
Give it a thought or two... and we can direct you to breeders :)

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wait... turn off the bulb?
Won't he stop eating all together?
I thought it was the light that made him want to eat....?
:( Sorry for the confusion! Hope you can clear it up for me.

My boyfriend got me a cricket keeper.
We stock it up with young crickets and give them food to grow.

How do you raise your own, though?
I don't think I could do roaches ): Not yet anyway!
They definitely creep me out!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, Brienna and welcome to our forum! Yes, he is a handsome little guy!

Yes, I agree that you want to turn off the compact bulb. They can do some real damage to your beardie's eyes. I'm partial to the ReptiSun 10.0. Make sure you get the tube and not the compact coil. You can take a look at our store, we partner with Pet Mountain and you will find the product there. Here's a link:
ReptiSun 10.0

Yes, the light is very important for their digestion. A beardie that is your age can go without UV light for about a week. So, you should be good until you get the proper light.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
WELCOME its alot to take in at first but gets easier when you get the basics down, I bought digital probe thermometers at the petstore for $7 so check around they arent that expensive either.
Handsome boy you have ;D

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hmm... Does it hurt their eyes immediately? And harshly?
The previous owner said she always used that kind of bulb
Because his food is over in the cool end. Is that why he isn't eating?? He usually only goes to the cool end to sleep or get crickets. usually he basks or glass dances til I let him out to cuddle haha
Maybe thats why he grew up so small.. lack of eating?
I feel like a dummy. I should have done a lot for research on the fixtures the previous owner gave me :-[

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
wiiiroc said:
I feel like a dummy. I should have done a lot for research on the fixtures the previous owner gave me :-[

Dont feel like a dummy there is alot of info and false info and a ton of different lights and equipment its hard to know what one is best , especially if you have been told the wrong thing. This site is great for giving info and advice from alot of different experienced owners at least you found a good resource now. like I said it seems like alot at first but its easy once you get the basics, lights, substrate diet down. he's lucky to have a good mommy who cares now ;D

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You all are so sweet! I am very happy to have found such a wonderful forum with caring and helpful members!
However the more and more I search around, the more I just want to scrap the 55gallon and make my own vivarium.
It seems like a very fun art project! That's for sure.

ewood810

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He is a good lookin dragon, I can feel your pain with the lights. I have only had Sid for about a month and have $150 in lights. But you will see once you get every thing set up then maintaining him is inexpensive. Sid also went through a little period when he only would eat crickets, but I mixed some fruit in with his greens and he gobbled it right up. I found that he loves celery greens. But good luck with him I am so happy I decided to get sid he is a real pleasure to hang around with.

Latest posts