• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help...

Stephanie Stewart

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello....I have been told to let my Beardie eat as much as he wants in a 10 min. period. Well I bought some crickets the other day. These crickets are sold at the local hardware store for people that want to go fishing. The crickets were a good med size and I let Phoenix eat them. I only feed crickets to Phoenix about once a week. As soon as I opened the cricket cup Phoenix almost broke his neck trying to get to those crickets. He ate them like crazy and almost ate all 40 of them.

Well, a couple of days later I find cricket bodies in the cage. They do not look like Phoenix pooped them out either, I think he threw them up. I am worred. Did I make my beardie sick? I have had Phoenix over a year now and he had never threw up like this. I am worried a bit.

I hear I am suppose to buy gut-loaded crickets but these crickets I get at the hardware store are cheaper and bigger. I feed them potatoe, orange and dust with calcium before Phoenix eats them.

Your input is much appreciated.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It could be possible that maybe he ate too much too fast.

How are the temps in the viv? Have you had any drops in temperature lately?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bigger isnt necessarily better. They may have more exo skeleton and if you temps are low your pooper will be a puker. Check you temps.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
r u sure it wasnt just where crickets got loose in the tank n hav died in the tank??

Brittany

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I had my one year old do this recently, I think it was just from eating too fast. My local pet store only recommends 10 crickets every other day; honestly you shouldn't be only feeding your beardy protein once a week, they really do need it 3 to 4 times a week to be healthy. Start out with 10, and see how it goes.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
These crickets are sold at the local hardware store for people that want to go fishing.

Hi Stepahanie

Buying crickets meant for bait is NOT a good idea, you really do not know what ahs been feed to insects or how they have been cared for. I would recomend not feeding live caught or bait insects to your dragon.

As far as how many and how often you feed crickets/insects will depend on the age of your dragon if the dragon is 12 months or your then you should be feeding the dragon appropiatly sized insects 2 times a day and as much as they will each in 15 miuntes. if they are over 12 months then you start weaning them back to few times a week, give that you are not breeding and they are healthy.

My 2 year old now gets roughly 40-50 insects a week and the rest is veggies but please make sure they are the proper size for your dragon. they insect should be no bigger than the space between your dragons eyes.

Brittany

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree with Fliehigh, you don't want to feed any insects from outside because they might have chemicals which could harm your beardy. You don't want to poison it!!!

Latest posts