• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with lights

Red007

Bearded Dragon Egg
Building a enclosure before I bring the little lizard home. So I have bought a reptisun 10.0 36" and a 150 w basking light. My problem is that with out using a platform for the beardie to bask on my temp is 128 deg. under the bulb. The bulb is 14" away and can't get any further, so what wattage bulb should I use? While I'm here how far does the Dragon need to be from my UV light?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Try going to a 100 Watt bulb.

The reptisun bulb has effective range of 20".

Height would depend on if it's obstructed or not. Is it in the enclosure or on top of a screen lid?

If it's open I'd say within 10 - 12 inches.

If it's on top of the screen than 8 - 10 inches.

And make sure Uvb and basking are in the same area.

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5

Here's a good read on lighting.

Post pics. We like pics lol.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
As far as temp goes under the basking bulb, it does make a difference too whether it's a "spot" type bulb..or like a halogen floodlight that expands over a wider area. What type is your current bulb? I know many times it takes a lot of trial and error to get lighting issues perfect so don't get discouraged :)

Red007

Bearded Dragon Egg

This is the tank and top i built. Excuse the mess inside and the pics all I have is my phone for pics. There are 2 more vents on the back. I have a temp probe on each end first pic is of basking spot 125 to 128 deg. The second probe pic is the cool end and it runs 75 to 81 deg. I have a 36" repti sun 10 uv light. I'm wondering if the basking spot can stay that temp as long as the cool side stays at its temps and he can still get under his uv light. 5" outside of the basking spot temps are perfect. If it's to hot won't he find a spot he likes? If this is not okay I'm all ears just wondering if this is ok.hot sidecool side

Red007

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's a pic of the top from the inside. A door will go were the big hole is. The light is angled so it's beam is not so bright to try to help but that's still not enough to get to 110.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
At no spot in your enclosure, that the dragon has access to, should the temp exceed 115 degrees. The bulb you are using is a "spot" type bulb. These focus the heat into a tight beam and it's no wonder it's so hot directly underneath. ..yet drops suddenly just a few inches to the side. Try using a lower wattage, flood style bulb. I notice too that you're taking your basking temp basically on the floor of the tank...you're not planning on having it raised just a bit? Like on a rock or branch? If it's raised at all it'll affect the temp. You've done an amazing job constructing this enclosure it is going to be absolutely amazing!

Red007

Bearded Dragon Egg
I want a basking spot going to do the foam grout thing for it. I'm aware the closer I get the basking spot to the light the hotter it will be. Do you have a picture of the flood light your recommending? When you say floodlight I'm thinking a outdoor bulb that go on motion detector setups outside of a house. Thanks for the help by the way.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
A halogen floodlight will be good. The one I got is meant for what your talking about...indoor/outdoor floodlights. The halogen kind give brighter whiter light and are more energy efficient.

Red007

Bearded Dragon Egg
57° inside my shop tonight and I warmed the tank up to 80° with the ceramic heater, got the 75 watt flood light burning and hit 95° and 65°, hot and cool end. Temps held for 2 hrs with the ceramic heater off. I'm sure the shop temp dropped while doing this test too. I had a basking spot about 5" off the floor of the tank were I took my hot end temp. Cool end was taken of the floor. I will run one more test when the shops temps are closer to 72° but I think I got her dialed down. I also have the vents to work with if needed. Time to start the fun part of decorating once the critical points like this are perfect. Thanks for the help, I might have spent 100 dollars on bulbs trying to get this right. AWESOME advice!

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Happy things are working out! ;) Make sure the temps are still good EXACTLY where you plan to place the tank permanently, and pics please when you're done decorating and all.. we love pics :)

Latest posts