• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help this bearded ddragon has an awful smell

bigred01

Bearded Dragon Egg
I rescued a bearded dragon last night and he has the most awful smell to him. after we picked him up last night we gave him a small bath and washed him with a soft toothbrush. he smelled better for awhile and now he is just rank again this morning along with the entire room. he is a rescue he has a stubby tail and what appears to be broken toes. I want to help this poor guy but the smell is awful our other bearded dragon had never smelled at all and is super happy healthy and tons of fun.

Thank you

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Maybe it will come off with a couple more baths. Could just be embeded in his scales from being in the stank for so long?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting. What kind of smell is it? Like feces?
I wonder if distilled water might help dissolve whatever it is that is on him.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the BDF community!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hmmm, what if you used diluted baby shampoo? I would soak him real good then take him out and brush him real gently with the baby shampoo mixture paying close attention to his toes and nails, the places that feces could easily cake on. Then give him a real good rinse off. Just don't let him soak in the soapy water.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My isabella smelled pretty rank whrn i got her, too. Her poo still smells more than my horses'. I was hopin bettering her diet and living conditions would help but i think im lookin at gettin a fecal done. I gave her a warm soak with a few drops of Thieves oil. Its a combination of different essential oils. You might try a warm soak with a couple drops each of clove oil, cinnamon oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Avoid getting it in his eyes!!!! Use the same mix to clean the cage. Another thought: sometimes really bad infections will smell putrid. Kinda like dead flesh. Maybe think about gettin him a check up. Keep us posted!

Latest posts