• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP, something sticking out of his BUTT after pooping???

doki_doki_dragon

Hatchling Dragon
Help!
I don't know what this. Organs?? Stuck up poo?? Penis??

Lately when my bearded dragon poops, this thing sticks out of his bum. Im not sure if I should be worried or not.
I have a couple pictures
He is about five years old.
His poo seems fairly healthy.

Someone help??

Attachments

• 49CE0787-034C-459B-A26B-2442C74826BD.jpeg
    49CE0787-034C-459B-A26B-2442C74826BD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,397
  • F726561B-E69E-4B3F-93E6-9B1C78B4D2EB.png
    F726561B-E69E-4B3F-93E6-9B1C78B4D2EB.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 1,395

Dragon's Gramma

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm not sure, but I'd give him some nice warm baths especially with that out. If it's stuck poo, or a urate plug it will work it's way out more easily then.
One of mine had a similar thing & it was a stuck urate plug. They don't drink alot so they can get dehydrated easily.
The vet told me to bathe my boys 2x a week, 15 minutes each time plus mist them a few times a week.
Does your boy seem in pain or any discomfort? Are his poops normal looking?
I know it's hard but if he is, or this goes on more than a week I'd take him in. Our vet only charged $50 for Spyro's appointment & he was a very sick boy! :(
Good luck hon, I hope everything turns out well! Hugs!

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Could be a sperm plug considering he is a male. The tips usually go black when they harden and I can kinda see the beginning of his hemipene. Here’s a video of a guy removing one because it should be removed, again just double check between the video and what’s coming out of your guy, does it look similar can you see some white after that black part. Again you’ll learn from the video that it should be removed slowly and carefully because you don’t want it to break. Also his femoral pores look a bit plugged would you mind going over your husbandry or sending in a picture of his enclosure please and thank you.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That guy does lots of good videos about neglected beardies , it could be a plug, could you take another picture for us please , ur initial ones were out of focus and dark :/

doki_doki_dragon

Hatchling Dragon
That guy does lots of good videos about neglected beardies , it could be a plug, could you take another picture for us please , ur initial ones were out of focus and dark :/
Yes I will take better pictures tomorrow.
Thank you to everyone who replied.

I'm going to give him a warm bath tomorrow, I usually leave him in there until he wants to get out. (He bathes in a bowl he can climb out of)

I read that he can prolapse from like, not enough calcium/too many watery foods/bad uvb

I am working on getting him a new uvb light, our current one is 5 months old.

When I got him, he was a really neglected pet and he used to be kept in a tank filled with sand and feces. Now, he stays on newspapers, and he still has a little plastic log to climb and bask in. He loves it.

Here is what he usually eats daily.
Critique his diet PLEASE:

Salad-Mainly green cabbage, collards, celery leaves, sometimes cilantro
Bugs-crickets every now and then (hard to get them when I dont have a job), he has tried dubias before but they are even harder to get

I try my best to gutload his crickets, I have cricket food and water crystals for them, and calcium powder to put on them before I feed him

I don't know much about femoral pores either

I just want the best for my little friend.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Could u maybe take a couple pictures of his tank too? We may be able to spot more things to give him the best life a lizard can have :) (uvb coil bulbs are bad make shure thats not whats in there right now) you want uvb to be like this Uvb strip light (the houseing itself might not be the best) (im not the authority when it comes to lighting, i just get what everyone tells me to get)

doki_doki_dragon

Hatchling Dragon
I'm not sure, but I'd give him some nice warm baths especially with that out. If it's stuck poo, or a urate plug it will work it's way out more easily then.
One of mine had a similar thing & it was a stuck urate plug. They don't drink alot so they can get dehydrated easily.
The vet told me to bathe my boys 2x a week, 15 minutes each time plus mist them a few times a week.
Does your boy seem in pain or any discomfort? Are his poops normal looking?
I know it's hard but if he is, or this goes on more than a week I'd take him in. Our vet only charged $50 for Spyro's appointment & he was a very sick boy! :(
Good luck hon, I hope everything turns out well! Hugs!
I don't think it's poop, because he's pooped several times after it started happening and it hasnt gone away.

Im going to give him a bath right now.

His poops seem fine. He is very active today and is running around like normal.

doki_doki_dragon

Hatchling Dragon
Could be a sperm plug considering he is a male. The tips usually go black when they harden and I can kinda see the beginning of his hemipene. Here’s a video of a guy removing one because it should be removed, again just double check between the video and what’s coming out of your guy, does it look similar can you see some white after that black part. Again you’ll learn from the video that it should be removed slowly and carefully because you don’t want it to break. Also his femoral pores look a bit plugged would you mind going over your husbandry or sending in a picture of his enclosure please and thank you.
Thank you!! This was it!!!
I watched the video and though it was quite gross, I was able to get the sperm plugs out. Turns out he had two of them.

I don't know how long they have been building up right there, but they started coming out a bit more after he just pooped in the bath.
I was able to get them out without hurting him!

Thanks so much for this video it really helped.

Tips on cleaning the vent?
He just took a bath before this.

Im not sure what else is necessary to clean his vent

Though it's very disgusting I'm glad I had you guys to comfort me and give tips and lead me in the right directions

It did turn out to be sperm plugs. They are out now, and he doesn't look like he has any discomfort at all.
Thanks everyone for your help !

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I watched the video and though it was quite gross, I was able to get the sperm plugs out. Turns out he had two of them.

I don't know how long they have been building up right there, but they started coming out a bit more after he just pooped in the bath.

Though it's very disgusting I'm glad I had you guys to comfort me and give tips and lead me in the right directions

It did turn out to be sperm plugs. They are out now, and he doesn't look like he has any discomfort at all.
You're very welcome and there isn't many ways to clean a vent but what I do sometimes is when they are bathing just with a tooth brush or my finger sadly, just run it over the vent a couple of times (Of course wash your hands after this) I've gotten so used to them pooping on me sadly that something like that doesn't gross me out lol. Also If you have sand I suggest changing it out for tile or non-adhesive shelf liner, the sand if you have it could be contributing to the dirty vent as well as the clogged pores he has. to clean the pores give him a good half an hour bath changing the water whenever it starts to cool and than with a baby toothbrush give it a good brush do this daily for a week and hopefully they become unclogged. If they remain clogged for a long time it can cause an infection and me may need surgery to fully remove them

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Glad it was plugs. :) Lot easier to tend to. I'm so not looking forward to my guy getting those.

Latest posts